Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulsnolan
Helper IV
Helper IV

Uploading a file to SharePoint using a Powerapps Portal Page

Hi All

Need some help managing SharePoint documents through Powerapps Portal. We are doing a bit of R&D at the moment.

We have an entity which will record the uploading of files to SharePoint. I have a Dynamics CRM form which is used by a Portal page. The form contains fields which will be recorded in the entity plus a sub grid to enable the uploading of the file to our SharePoint document library. The portal page has the Table and Form layout properties set correctly

I have followed the steps in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/manage-sharepoint-documents (Manage SharePoint documents). However found I needed to set the mode to Insert as Edit gave message "The requested record was not found", which sounds reasonable as we aren't processing an existing record, we are inserting a new record for a file upload. Also have set 'Enable table permissions' on portal page to off. This all worked nicely, a record was created in our entity and the document was uploaded to our SharePoint document library.

I then turned on table permissions on the Portal page and created a web role to use the child and parent permissions created in Step 5 of "Manage SharePoint documents" above. However I got issues with permissions for some dropdowns which we use to populate fields in our entity, so I turned off 'Enable table permissions' whilst I resolved these issues which are related to relationships.

What I have found is that the upload to SharePoint no longer works. The page works okay and gives the success message. The entity is populated correctly, but the document has not been uploaded to SharePoint. Also when the portal page loads we get a message at the top of the page "An unknown failure has occurred. Error ID #[some GUID], the GUID is different each time. Any ideas what may be causing the document not to upload to SharePoint?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
srbonera
Regular Visitor

Do you have a model driven app where you are viewing the form entity, do you see the related table named documents at all?  I have successfully configured sharepoint document integration and it does take a fair bit of config to get right 

Hi srbonera

Thanks for the reply, I've been on holiday.

We have a Dynamics 365 entity that has a form. This form is displayed using a portal web page in our PowerApps Portal. We have followed the steps as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/manage-sharepoint-documents

We get the message at the top of the page as mentioned in my original post which would suggest an issue with our configuration for this page. We suspect our issue is permissions related

Have you details of the steps you had to take for your configuration.

Many thanks

paulsnolan
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi All

Reviewing what we are hoping to achieve I'm wondering if we are potentially over-engineering/overcomplicating our solution. We need a page that can upload a file to a SharePoint folder (configurable by a site setting maybe) and also insert a record into an entity that will record details of the file uploaded (file name, date of upload, uploaded by, etc.). Another page will display a list populated by this entity.

As mentioned in my original post we have followed this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/manage-sharepoint-documents but we are only concerned with uploading a file and nothing more. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,276)