cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_andersen
Regular Visitor

Web Form - Create New Record on Submit Only

Hello all,

is there a way to trigger the record creation in CDS only when the submit button on a web form is clicked?

I have a 5-step web form on my portal, the entity form is set to Insert Mode. When I complete the first step a record is created in CDS. Is there a way to stop this? I would liek to avoid ending up with records that are half-way compelted because the user abandoned the web form.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As already stated by others the first step always creates the the record.   To clean up, you can do something like the following:

• On the first (Insert) step use metadata to set Status Reason to 'Draft'
  • On the last step use metadata to to set the Status Reason to Submitted etc
  • Create a bulk delete job to delete the records where created on is older than x days and the Status Reason = Draft

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OOlashyn
Super User
Super User

Hi @j_andersen ,

Unfortunately, if you are using web form with multiple steps this behaviour is unavoidable. The system will create a record after the first step and will use it as an input for the next steps.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
StalinPonnusamy
Community Champion
Community Champion

There is no way to avoid this. May be we can do, set the flag when the last step is completed and run the scheduler to delete the records which last step is not completed once a day or less frequency based on business decision.

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As already stated by others the first step always creates the the record.   To clean up, you can do something like the following:

• On the first (Insert) step use metadata to set Status Reason to 'Draft'
  • On the last step use metadata to to set the Status Reason to Submitted etc
  • Create a bulk delete job to delete the records where created on is older than x days and the Status Reason = Draft

View solution in original post

It seems like what you need to do should be done with Entity Forms with Auto Generate Steps From Tabs option enabled. It will render a form tabs as steps but in the same time it will create the record at the end only.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,042)