cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edu21
Microsoft
Microsoft

power apps portal pros and cons, limitation

I am doing POC with power apps portals and I am trying to understand the pros and cons as well as the limitations. Can someone help me please? 

Thanks,

Eden

6 REPLIES 6
nhayduk
MVP

This is a pretty broad question, but at a high level Power Apps Portals allow you to quickly build web applications similar to a model-driven app, but expose it to users that don't have a Power Apps or Dynamics license.  Most often Portals are meant for external users.

Power Apps Portals are meant for interacting with data stored in the Common Data Service (CDS), including Dynamics 365 Online.  They don't leverage the connector framework that Power Automate or canvas-based Power Apps.

There is a learning curve, but once you know how to use them, you can build web applications quickly.  You can take customize them even further using JavaScript.

Feel free to post any specific questions and I'll do my best to help.

MittalPatel
Frequent Visitor

@nhayduk  - Thank you for detailed answer. I've one quick follow up question - Can Portal handle 500 or more request submissions at the same time? 

Thank you

nhayduk
MVP

Broadly speaking the size of the Azure resources associated with your Power Apps Portals depends on how many logins you've associated it with. So from a technical standpoint, yes Portals can handle that many requests - just make sure you're licensing it appropriately.

Nick

@nhayduk  

The Portal will be public facing and for external users. They don't need license to access it. Am I correct? Before I publish I wanted to make sure that it will handle this load at the same time.

Thank you

nhayduk
MVP

External users do require licenses - they are licensed per login.

See the "Pricing" section on this page:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/portals/

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There was and I believe there still is an actual ('true') concurrent user limit (users doing actions at precisely the same instant) - but finding any documentation on it is nearly impossible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,308)