cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcinWB

unable to create portal nor environment

I have PowerApps subscription connected with Office365  A1 plus for faculty. I see Create Portal big button in English in make.powerapps.com, but no portal templates. There are canvas app templates. I'm in Spanish University and want to create a portal in English. When I press this icon, I get a message that I cannot create portal in this environment before even specifying the name. When I try to create a new environment it says that I don't have administrative privileges. I can create app from SharePoint list in a site I have there. My university Office administrator  opened a case in Microsoft and for week there is no answer. I have seen various videos from Microsoft on portals but nobody shows such problem. Please help. Marcin

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Re: unable to create portal nor environment

Hi @MarcinWB ,

Portal templates are only available for environments with model-driven apps in Dynamics 365 (Dynamics 365 Sales, Dynamics 365 Customer Service, Dynamics 365 Field Service, Dynamics 365 Marketing, or Dynamics 365 Project Service Automation). Reference: Portal templates 

Could you please share the detailed error message?

If you want to create a portal, you must have the System Administrator role in Common Data Service. You must also have the Access Mode set to Read-Write under Client Access License (CAL) Information in the user record.

Please contact the admin to increase privileges for you.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/create-portal 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/create-users-assign-online-security-roles#crea... 

Hope this helps.

Sik

Highlighted
MarcinWB

Hi @v-siky-msft .

Thank you for the valuable comment. The last thing I expected that PowerApps Portals are a mere bonus to Dynamics 365. I ended up talking to our Office 365 administrator who almost opened a case at MSFT to dig the reason. Our 50k+ University of Seville, Spain has Dynamics 365 Sales license but only a few for administrative people and this is the reason I could see Portals template while logged in to PowerApps. With my Education subscription, I have access to PowerApps but not to their Portals template. It was deeply confusing. I am going to ask for a Trial subscription of Dynamics 365 Sales which I do not need for anything else but for Portals. At this moment I do not need the Common Data Environment for anything.  A public Spanish University sales knowledge not cars, printers etc. 

Maybe MSFT can consider having Portals in a separate subscription as Forms or PowerBI with free basic tools (or linked to Education or Office 365 subscription)? And do not ask for administrative privileges to create a portal.  I can do many things in PowerApps and all of a sudden Portal is like creating your own currency. I tried Forms Pro, created a few Forms in a Pro version, they are available to me and I ended with Forms Pro free version and have normal Forms as part of Education subscription. Same with PowerBI. I know that Platforms is a very new tool (from June 2019) so licensing options are not mature yet. I would be happy to participate in some preview of such Portals editor. 

Regards

Marcin

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarcinWB ,

Thanks for your sharing and feedback.

It would be easier to be heard by the PowerApps Production Team if you post your words to PowerApps Ideas Forum.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas 

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Users online (8,076)