cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhandel

Can't seem to update Custom Controls in D365?

I have a PCF control (custom control) in D365 that for some reason I can't update. I have set the version in my solution.xml and in my controlmanifest.xml multiple times to try to get the javascript to install but it just skips over it.

Even though the solution deployment says it succeeds (with the solution version number) when I export the solution the controlmanifest.xml that downloads is the originally deployed version.

It seems crazy that you can't update a custom control that you have deployed so I have to be missing something

example Scenario:

• Starting Solution version = 1.02
  • Starting controlmanifest.xml version = 0.0.123
  • install new solution with version 1.03. & 1.0.1
  • Solution shows as 1.03 & Logs show that the control was processed
  • Download the Solution (export)
  • Solution xml show version 1.03 (good)
  • controlmanifest.xml version 0.0.123 (what, what???)
  • control javascript still the old javascript (v 0.0.123)

I should note this is an unmanaged solution and the control is then shared with our primary customizations solution (also unmanaged) that deploys out to UAT and PROD.

13 REPLIES 13
Magesoe
Advocate I
Advocate I

We use PCFs and unmanaged solutions, that is not an issue. 

In order to update the PCF in source, just update the controlmanifest version and use the pac pcf push -publisher-prefix command.

In order to deploy the control, simply include it in your solution.

Yah we are doing all of that, and the only way to update (currently) is to remove the control from all dependents, delete the control, delete the solution, and redeploy, and then reconfigure.. 

Are you doing this in D365?

Yes, without any issues

Hi @jhandel ,

I work this way: During the development, I use "pac pcf push -pp <publisher>" which will upload the  component to the solution called PowerAppsTools_<publisher>. No need to increment the manifest version for this.

But this version of the pcf component is only for development, and not intended to be used for deployment.

When I'm done with the development, I increment the version in the manifest. Then use the "Solution project (.cdsprj)" ( created with "pac solution init", and with

msbuild /p:configuration=Release

I generate the solution.zip. This one can be used for deployment. If you install the unmanaged version of the solution (don't forget to publish customizations by import) you can add the pcf to other solutions too.

Kind regards,

Diana

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

"But this version of the pcf component is only for development, and not intended to be used for deployment."

Is this documented somewhere? Isn't the real problem that the manifest version is not incremented?

I am not sure about others but ultimately my real problem is the new Custom Control javascript is not being run on the forms, and the only way I can seem to "update" is to remove the controls from every form they are used on, delete the controls, delete the "temp" solution, and redeploy and reconfigure... Which, to say the least, is sub-optimal 😉

Hi @Magesoe , 

I think this post will answer your questions: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Pro-Dev-ISV/pac-pcf-push-FAQ/m-p/356312 

KInd regards,

Diana

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Hi @jhandel , 

It shouldn't be like this. You are already at version 123 😮?  As far as I know, it's not necessary to increment the solution version, only the manifest version.

I understand that you generate the solution using "msbuild" (after incrementing the manifest version), and then you install it in your system, right?

I just want to check that you always increment the manifest version (you don't try to downgrade it). Also, do you make sure to publish all customizations, after you import the new generated solution?

As I said, you don't have to go this way when the development is ongoing; you could use "pac pcf push".

Another idea would be to use Fiddler Autoresponder, instead of uploading the code after every change. This way you have to upload only when you're done with the pcf.

Hope it helps a little to come closer to a solution.

Kind regards,

Diana

Kind regards,
Diana
----------

I understand that FAQ as saying you should not deploy your controls by pcf push to another environment. Instead you could add the custom control to your existing dev unmanaged solution and deploy it that way, or you can build a solution locally like you do and deploy that.

There should be no difference between the actual control once it is deployed correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,337)