cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create solution package with Power Platform Build Tools for DevOps?

I've been working through setting up some pipelines in Azure DevOps to export/import solutions across environments. I noticed that there's an action to deploy a package, but I couldn't see one to create a package. Is there a way to create a package within DevOps? 

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You would use the Export Solution task to retrieve an unmanaged solution from a development environment in a packed zip file. 

The Unpack Solution task extracts the solution file components from the zip format to its XML format which can be version controlled. 

You can use the Pack Solution task to take the unpacked XML components and compress it back into a zip. The zip can then be imported into an environment.

The build tasks are described in further detail here. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tool-tasks#power-platform-pack-solution

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ChrisPiasecki 

Thanks for your reply!

I've got a pipeline that exports and unpacks the solution. I can pack the solution and import it, but I want to deploy it as a package including data. Is it possible to create this package in DevOps? I couldn't see a power platform tool for it, but maybe there's a way to achieve it using other tools.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (3,080)