cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

How to license a Power App solution as an ISV

Forgive me if this has been covered, but it isn't showing up in any searches.

Basic question is:  As an ISV, if we create a Power App solution how do we ensure customers have paid for the solution?

As far as I can tell:

• It is not possible for a customer to purchase it on AppSource
  • It is not possible to implement a trial period of functionality (then allow the customer to add a license key when ready to buy)

All that remains is that for each customer we have to install it personally in their tenant and then license to an agreed upon amount since there is no per user licensing capability.  If we make the solution available through AppSource there is a marketplace fee.  If we make the solution available for general download then it can be used or redistributed without restriction.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Re: How to license a Power App solution as an ISV

UPDATE:

It seems that most ISV's developing solutions for Dynamics 365 CE create their own custom licensing infrastructure and then add a WebResource to their solution that handles the interaction with the end-user.

It seems like the bar should be lower than this to get apps out there.  Still hopeful someone will chime-in with a better approach that I'm missing.

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

One of the things we are about to release is a license management system that will allow you to automatically create licenses including trials and then manage everything including extending licenses from within a / your D365 instance. It will be a solution that you install before the other solutions in your package. 

We also have sample code that can be added to plugins / pcf components to query the information so you can disable the functionality if the license has expired.

The only bit currently holding this back is accurately linking the contact information provided from / sent by Appsource with the license information sent from the instance but I think that issue is resolved. If it is the management software will be heading to Appsource next week for validation.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Thanks, @ben-thompson,

When you say "we" I assume you are referring to Microsoft or your own 3rd party license management solution?

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Nope, by we I mean the company I own on the basis that if you want a job done properly do it yourself as this issue hasn't been high on Microsoft's to do list (and yes I used to work for Microsoft but I left last August to do my own things).

It's actually one of a fair number of items hitting Appsource over the next few weeks all taken from the easy to use powerapps CRM solution we've been working on for a while.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Fair enough.  I'll be curious to see what's coming.

Try to get things done inside -> leave, get it done -> sell it back 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (5,198)