cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srasmussen
Advocate I
Advocate I

Issue connecting to CRM 2013 on-prem with latest SDK (9.1.0.79)

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this but I'm experiencing an issue while using the latest SDK (9.1.0.79) and trying to connect to an on-prem CRM 2013 instance.  Not sure if this is a bug in the SDK or if connecting with CRM 2013 is no longer supported with the v9.1.x SDK.  The issue is exactly as described here: https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/microsoft-dynamics-crm-forum/428209/can-t-access-crm-2013-v-6-1... 

After decompiling the 'Microsoft.Xrm.Tooling.Connector.dll' it appears that the 'CrmWebSvc.RefreshInstanceDetails' method is making a call with the 'RetrieveCurrentOrganizationRequest', which is perhaps not supported with CRM 2013 and so it throws an exception. The interesting thing is that if you use the workaround in the link posted above, it does NOT make a call to that method and so it connects without any issues.

3 REPLIES 3
cchannon
Super User
Super User

9.x is far newer than CRM 2013, so the lack of backward compatibility is not a surprise. I would guess the 'official' answer from MSFT would be that if you need to work with 2013, you should use a 8.9 or older API definition.

Yes, that is certainly the case that 9.x is much newer than CRM 2013.  If I had the ability to, I would use an earlier version of the SDK and call it a day.  I work on a tool called 'XrmToolkit' (much like XrmToolbox) that requires the ability to connect to different versions of CRM, whether it's CRM 2013 or the latest online version. This requires using a single version of the SDK and so it would be great to officially hear if this should be supported by the SDK or not. Can someone from MS please respond if possible?

Since it works currently if you don't use a connection string, it seems to me that it should be possible to make it work with a connection string.  I've also done the work of decompiling the dll to point out exactly where/why the issue is occurring and so it would seem to be a simple change for MS to make it work. Thanks!

@HemantG - Who is the right person to comment on SDK/version compatibility questions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,610)