Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Package deployer : no import package were found

Hello,

Upon creating new environment, I would like to install/deploy some existing solution. Not really familiar with all this, but I following some of the guidance saying I need to use PackageDeployer. 

I have my ready package in ZIP file which I downloaded and already check the "Unblock" flag and extract, so to have these kind of folders : 

Axal_1-1646719382011.png

And I downloaded the PackageDeployer from this site : https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.CrmSdk.XrmTooling.PackageDeployment.Wpf/

After Unblock and extract these tools, then I've copied all those folders and file from my package into Tools folder of this PackageDeployer. Wondering is this the correct procedure ? since every time I run the PackageDeplyer.exe, it will show me "no import package were found"

Hope somebody here can help to guide me what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DianaBirkelbach
Super User
Super User

Hi  @Axal , 

Unfortunately I don't have an example of a Pipeline with more packages.

But I believe that the Power Platform CLI is the way for the future. 

You can use it already in VS Core or standalone CLI, and can make a lot of operations: like export/import a solution, but also to clone a solution. Cloning will unpack the solution components, will create a "cds project" and based on that you can generate the solution as managed/unmanaged or unmanaged as you wish (or both). Once the solution cloned, you don't need the environment to generate the solution anymore.

Power Platform CLI lets you work with solution packager too, as a collection of solutions.

If you've figured out how to use it, you can apply the same in DevOps.

I have a blog on this. I've treated it from the perspective of PCF solutions, but it's not limite dto that: https://dianabirkelbach.wordpress.com/2020/12/06/devops-dataverse-alm-using-power-apps-cli-a-source-...  I think the second part of the blog, is about using the "pac" in the Pipeline. You'll find a few good ALM Blogs linked there too.

@BenediktB has also a blog about how to use the "pac cli" in DevOps: https://benediktbergmann.eu/2021/08/06/execute-power-apps-cli-in-azure-devops/ and a lot of other good ALM blogs.

Of course yoou don't need to use the PAC CLI for the operations who can be provided by the Power Platform Build Tools for DevOps.

Hope it helps a little!

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DianaBirkelbach
Super User
Super User

Hi @Axal , 

Before you deep dive in Package Deployer, if you just want to deploy some solutions you have some other ways too.

If you need this ony once:

- You can manually export the solutions, and import them manually in the other environments

If you need to keep the environments in sync, and want to repeat the deployment:

- You can use DevOps Pipeline: it's pretty straight forward

- You could also use the Power Platform CLI: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/data-platform/powerapps-cli?WT.mc_id=BA-MVP-500.... You have the commands to export/import solutions, and even work with Packages.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Hi @DianaBirkelbach 

Thanks, yeap DevOps actually my priority, also because it will be a repeat deployment. But having some problem now, as I'm not familiar with this as well. So the solution/package that I want to deploy to my environment is actually not only 1, and need to be installed in orderly manner. The error / problem is dependency error, btw, so here I thought probably I need to do manual deploy for initial stage only.

Obviously for repeat deploy, it is fit more with DevOps, but then again I don't know the correct way. Do you know some good blog to describe this ? I mean how to handle more than 1 package at one go ? I found most of it, also in YouTube is about single apps / package only.

Thanks again.

Axal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @DianaBirkelbach 

Regarding the use of DevOps as you're mentioned for repeat deployment, may I know what are we usually do for the Managed Solution ? Is this solution unable to export and deploy using DevOps, lets say if we just create new environment, all of my solution, managed and unmanaged can be handled by DevOps pipeline only. Will this possible ? Reason is for standardize the tools, I hesitant to use many tools like some with Package Deployer some with DevOps. But actually I've ran to an issue whereby it looks like we cannot export managed solution. I have another thread for this though, so over here I just want to clarify the idea or plan first.

Thanks in advance.

DianaBirkelbach
Super User
Super User

Hi  @Axal , 

Unfortunately I don't have an example of a Pipeline with more packages.

But I believe that the Power Platform CLI is the way for the future. 

You can use it already in VS Core or standalone CLI, and can make a lot of operations: like export/import a solution, but also to clone a solution. Cloning will unpack the solution components, will create a "cds project" and based on that you can generate the solution as managed/unmanaged or unmanaged as you wish (or both). Once the solution cloned, you don't need the environment to generate the solution anymore.

Power Platform CLI lets you work with solution packager too, as a collection of solutions.

If you've figured out how to use it, you can apply the same in DevOps.

I have a blog on this. I've treated it from the perspective of PCF solutions, but it's not limite dto that: https://dianabirkelbach.wordpress.com/2020/12/06/devops-dataverse-alm-using-power-apps-cli-a-source-...  I think the second part of the blog, is about using the "pac" in the Pipeline. You'll find a few good ALM Blogs linked there too.

@BenediktB has also a blog about how to use the "pac cli" in DevOps: https://benediktbergmann.eu/2021/08/06/execute-power-apps-cli-in-azure-devops/ and a lot of other good ALM blogs.

Of course yoou don't need to use the PAC CLI for the operations who can be provided by the Power Platform Build Tools for DevOps.

Hope it helps a little!

Kind regards,
Diana
----------

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,021)