cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurentissot

Power Platform Build Tools (1.0.13) backup Environment task

Hello,

We are using Azure DevOps Power Platform Build Tools (1.0.13) extension.

We are currently trying to use the following step : "Power Platform Backup Environment" and we would like to know when the feature using the service principal name will be available?

We're using at the moment a service account and the MFA is not supported with this authentication type.

We have read this documentation : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tool-tasks#power-platform-backup-en....

Do you have a narrower timeline for the availability of this feature ?

Many thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
JeffCarma
Frequent Visitor

I have set the application user as a System Administrator per the docs. Sorry it's not working for you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tools

Ensure that the added Application User has the system administrator role assigned (available from “Manage Roles” in the security settings for the application user).

Thanks for linking to the docs! While skimming over it I think I might have found the culprit. The service principal (or rather: the application user) already has the role of a system administrator. But the docs mention another requirement:

This application is then added as an administrator user to the Microsoft Power Platform tenant itself.

As far as I know this has not happened. I will get in touch with our Power Platform / Dynamics 365 Admin next week so he will add the service principal accordingly. I will report back here if that resolves the issue.

khoait
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm having the same error. The service principal doesn't have permission to the Power Platform backup  API endpoint.

As mentioned here, it probably need the "service admin" role: Power Platform Admin.

Use service admin roles to manage your tenant - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

I'll ask for this permission and try again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,442)