cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurentissot

Power Platform Build Tools (1.0.13) backup Environment task

Hello,

We are using Azure DevOps Power Platform Build Tools (1.0.13) extension.

We are currently trying to use the following step : "Power Platform Backup Environment" and we would like to know when the feature using the service principal name will be available?

We're using at the moment a service account and the MFA is not supported with this authentication type.

We have read this documentation : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tool-tasks#power-platform-backup-en....

Do you have a narrower timeline for the availability of this feature ?

Many thanks in advance!

24 REPLIES 24

Hi,

I was encoutering the same path error.

Actually the API permission needed can be set only trough API or powershell (not via Azure portal app registration):

"Today, there's no way to do this via the Power Platform admin center; it must be done programmatically via Power Platform API or PowerShell for Power Platform administrators. A service principal can't register itself—by design, the application must be registered by an administrator username and password context. This ensures that the application is created knowingly by someone who is an administrator for the tenant."

Follow the steps described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powershell-create-service-principal

It took me 5min to set it. 

You have to be admin on powerapps.

1) create an app registration on Azure, note its appID

2) install powershell powerapps module if not done

3) run this script (just change yourappID parameter, nothing else)

You have to login as an admin of the targeted powerapps env.

$appId = "yourappID"

# Login interactively with a tenant administrator for Power Platform
Add-PowerAppsAccount -Endpoint prod -TenantID $tenantId

# Register a new application, this gives the SPN / client application same permissions as a tenant admin
New-PowerAppManagementApp -ApplicationId $appId

Done

Thanks @yoya, it's working for me now!

Hi @sit-md 

Any more news on this?

Update: I used @yoya  his latest reply and it works for me now as well 🙂

Thanks a lot

Hi @NativeNass_ 

Your post drove me to test it out again with the steps that @yoya described in his post - and this time it worked! Backups of the environments are now happening within the pipeline and it is just working great! 😀

Am also facing same issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (2,751)