cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Rebuilding environments from source (ALM) - diffs in CDS workflows

Microsofts ALM best practices state that you should be able to rebuild your environment from source.  i.e.  

1. Export solution from CDS, unpack solution.zip with solutionpackager /action:extract, then check into source control
  2. Completely reset environment (via admin portal or DevOps pipeline) 
  3. Install any dependent managed solutions
  4. Extract from source control, pack solution with solutionpackager, then import into source control.

This works fine.  However when the next export and solutionpackager extract is done there's a number of diffs present - Mainly for CDS workflows, where GUIDs within the XAML change.

How can this be prevented?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Rebuilding environments from source (ALM) - diffs in CDS workflows

Hej pcole,

what exactly do you mean with "CDS workflows"? Are those custom workflows you created and are therefore included in your solution or are you talking about standard OOB workflows?

//Benedikt

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Apologies, perhaps I should have been more clear, my issue is with Classic Workflows, created in the old Solution Explorer (not flows)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No worries. I got that.

I just wonder if you are referring to classic Workflows you created or some that come with dynamics.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

These are classic (sync) workflows that we created.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Depending on how your workflow is built,  if its referencing specific records in CDS, it does that by ID,  thus you will see those ID's change from export to export.. 

Can you share a snipet of whats changing to help answer your question?

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @pcole ,

Unfortunately this is by design and cannot be prevented. As the previous user stated, within a classic workflow, there can be many references to data such as the Owner of the Workflow which would change if the deployment user/account is different or records GUIDs within workflow steps (e.g. assign a record to a Team/User) that might differ between the different environments. Also components that might change frequently are security roles for child business units as they are rebuilt upon solution import. 

Hope this clarifies!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,281)