cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DianaBirkelbach
Super User
Super User

Which event for notifyOutputChanged

When we have a Textarea PCF control, we can call notifyOutputChanged on the events: "input" or "change" . What's the best practice for that?

If we choose "input", the control will trigger it's own updateView() for every character we type; it doesn't seem to be a good way.

If we choose "change", it will call the notifyOutputChanged only if the textarea looses focus, but when the autosave is triggered before the user leaves the input, the updateView() will be triggered with a old value, and he looses the text he typed.

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."
13 REPLIES 13
ben-thompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I've just checked what I do in one of the textarea controls I have and it's called on mouse leave.

It's probably worth saying that we don't use a textarea input control, instead we use an editable div which we set to contentEditable=true onMouseEnter and to false when onMouseLeave at which point we also call notifyOutputChanged

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

Thank you @ben-thompson for the fast answer.

But if I understand right, you must have the same problem.

To reproduce it, edit another field on the form, just to get the form dirty, then start to edit in your div, and don't leave the div, just wait for the autosave. Then the content edited will be deleted, because the updateView() is called with the old value.

In updateView we have to change the value of the input, because somebody else might have changed the value using the from sdk (outside the control, using attribute.setValue()), so we have to reflect this change.

A workarround would be to check in updateView() to see if the value that we get is different than the last values that we set in getOutputs(), but that's not really right, since somebody might really want to change the value back, using the attribute.setValue().

So it seems to me that we are forced to report every change instantly by calling notifyOutputChanged, which will call again the updateView() method. 

I'm not sure if I can explain what happens. I'll attach a short video about this issue. 

Kind regards,
Diana
----------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

In which case I can't help

I'm using a recentish environment (created this month but not upgraded to wave 1) and autosave is enabled but I can't reproduce the issue as the autosave functionality doesn't seem to be working.  Granted the form does contain 4 different PCF controls but I don't think any of those are the issue. 

Now I would be concerned by that but in April the save button appears so the interface is better.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

Scrap that I left it open for 5 minutes and it did autosave without losing data - so I wonder if the issue is that you are using a textarea which is an input field and we use editable Divs with the value stored in the background in a javascript variable.

Looking at the updateview routine we have - we store the raw parameter value in a separate variable and check it every time the routine is called - if the value changes we update the text within the Div otherwise we leave it as is.

---

Thanks @ben-thompson ! It's a awesome community here! 

Lucky you that it works! 😉 

But then you implemented already one of the workarrounds: you check if the value is a new one, and if it's the value that you already knew, you ignore that: so you ignore the refresh after the autosave.

That would work in most of the cases, but there could happen that the form scripting is calling attribute.setValue(oldValue) in the meanwhile. You would ignore that, right? I agree that won't happen a lot (maybe never), but maybe a plugin sets the value back, and you'll ignore it.  🤔 

In case it helps somebody else, I have now an implementation using an "input" event (to save internal the value), and there I debounce the "notifyOutputChanged" (so it will trigger only once in 250 ms). 

Seems that both solutions are workarrounds. 

Kind regards,
Diana
----------

To be honest my viewpoint is that autosave is more trouble than it's worth - come April I will be doing everything I can to disable it..

What I care about is that the user interface works the way users would expect it to which means that the form should be displaying exactly what the user expects. So the only time we would update a field within the PCF control is if another control on the form triggered. 

For a lot of our cases that's easy as we are using PCF controls to avoid on page scripting - say field 2 is an (attribute list) attached to field 1 (entity list) so when field 1 changes we reset field 2 and update the options to reflect that change but outside of that you really should be ignoring any value changes - the logic really should be set value on first pass of updateview and ignore that part of the code on subsequent runs. 

---

Thanks again @ben-thompson . You're right. Actually registering on "input" doesn't work as I thought, since between the autosave start and the moment the form is refreshed, there are a few milliseconds, while the user is typing, so he would lose some chars.

I'll use the workarround  you suggested:  I register on "change" of the input, and in updateView() I ignore the value if it's the old one. So using this workarround the value is not lost after autosave, but it's still not saved until the user change the focus outside the control. So if another script on the form is navigating away or closing the window, the user loses the introduced text.
But I've checked: an out-of-the-box control doesn't their values, they automatically save it somehow. Since I have no influence on the other scripts in the form, I have to be sure that I don't lose the introduced data .

I've made a test by defining in the console the following function (it only saves the form if necessary, and closes the form). I try to simulate another scripts running on the form:

function checkSavingOnLeave(fieldName){
 const value = Xrm.Page.getAttribute(fieldName).getValue();
 console.log(`value at start: ${value}`);
 window.setTimeout( async () => {
    console.log(Xrm.Page.getAttribute(fieldName).getValue());
    console.log(`dirty: ${Xrm.Page.data.getIsDirty()}`);
    const saved = !Xrm.Page.data.getIsDirty() || await Xrm.Page.data.save();
    if(saved===true) {
      console.log(`value before close: ${Xrm.Page.getAttribute(fieldName).getValue()}`);
      Xrm.Page.ui.close();
    }
    else
       console.log("not saved");
 }, 7000);
}

So I call the function for my pcf control (while the form is not dirty) then I go to my PCF control and I change the text, but don't leave the control for a few seconds, until my script is triggered.

I get this console output:

checkSavingOnLeave("orb_textarea")
value at start: PCF
PCF
dirty: false
value before close: PCF

The form didn't get the change, it gets closed, but the text I typed is lost.

If I call the same function for a standard input control (like the name control) I get the same log

checkSavingOnLeave("orb_name")
value at start: PCF
PCF
dirty: false
value before close: PCF

The difference is that the orb_name (which is a standard control) doesn't loose the changed text, even if the value after the Xrm.Page.data.save() is still the old one, while my PCF control loses the changed text.

Here is my updateView(), in case I do something wrong:

public updateView(context: ComponentFramework.Context<IInputs>): void
	{						
		const maybeNewValue = context.parameters.myTextarea.raw || "";		
		if(maybeNewValue!== this.value){
			this._inputWindowElement.value = maybeNewValue;	
			this.value = maybeNewValue;			
			console.log(`value set to ${maybeNewValue}`);
		}
		this._inputWindowElement.disabled = context.mode.isControlDisabled;		
	}

This is not a problem related only to textarea, it happens also with a text input.
It's a very simple example of PCF control: just an input control, nothing fancy. Since the standard controls are made using the same framework, Microsoft must have a solution for that already. Maybe somebody from the team can help me...

Kind regards,
Diana
----------

Thanks for the inputs and great discussion on this.

I reached out to the engineering team and we have some investigations done. We are evaluating whats the best way to handle this from UCI and form/PCF infra perspective.

One item which we are looking into is to NOT call update on the control via auto-save if the value for that control has not change (tracked by internal bug id 1739331).  Will keep this thread posted on updates.

Hemant Gaur

Thank you very much to all who are helping us. Is a great community.

@HemantG  Yes, would be great to have this solution: not to call updateView after auto-save.

I just tried my PCF control in a CanvasApp, and the solution that I thought it worked in Model-Driven apps (use the onInput event, so basically only when the user leaves the input) doesn't work in CanvasApps. There we have to implement a Patch requests (since it cannot be integrated in the EditForm-Submit process), and the moment the user clicks the Save Button, the "input" event was not  triggered already (if the user goes directly from the input to the save button), and he loses the data.

So the solution you and the engineers figured out, might be the only way if we want the control to work both in model-driven and canvas apps.

Best regards,

Diana

Kind regards,
Diana
----------

Helpful resources

Announcements

Super User of the Month | Drew Poggemann

As part of a new monthly feature in the Community, we are excited to share that Drew Poggemann is our featured Super User for the month of February 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure Drew's name is familiar to you, as he is one of our most active contributors--he's been a Super User for five consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply 5 years ago to his 514th solution authored, Drew has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Drew is also a User Group leader and a Microsoft MVP. His contributions to our Super User sessions and to the new SUIT program are always welcome--as well as his sense of humor and fun-loving way of sharing what he knows with others.   When Drew is not solving problems and authoring solutions, he's busy overseeing the Solution Architecture team at HBS, specializing in application architecture and business solution strategy--something he's been doing for over 30 years. We are grateful for Drew and the amazing way he has used his talent and skills to help so many others in the Community. If you are part of the SUIT program, you got to hear some great tips from Drew at the first SUIT session--and we know he still has much more to share!You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thank you for all you do, Drew!

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Our team will be reviewing posts using the new "Copilot Studio" label to ensure we highlight and amplify the most relevant and recent content, so you're assured of high-quality content every time you visit. If you share a post that gets featured in the curated gallery, you'll get a PM in the Community to let you know!The curated gallery is ready for you to experience now, so visit the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community. We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!      

Celebrating a New Season of Super Users with Charles Lamanna, CVP Microsoft Business Applications

February 8 was the kickoff to the 2024 Season One Super User program for Power Platform Communities, and we are thrilled to welcome back so many returning Super Users--as well as so many brand new Super Users who started their journey last fall. Our Community Super Users are the true heroes, answering questions, providing solutions, filtering spam, and so much more. The impact they make on the Communities each day is significant, and we wanted to do something special to welcome them at our first kickoff meeting of the year.   Charles Lamanna, Microsoft CVP of Business Applications, has stressed frequently how valuable our Community is to the growth and potential of Power Platform, and we are honored to share this message from him to our 2024 Season One Super Users--as well as anyone who might be interested in joining this elite group of Community members.     If you want to know more about Super Users, check out these posts for more information today:    Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

February 2024 User Group Update: Welcoming New Groups and Highlighting Upcoming Events

It's a new month and a brand-new year, which means another opportunity to celebrate our amazing User Groups!Each month, we highlight the new User Groups that have joined the community. It's been a busy season for new groups, because we are thrilled to welcome 15 New User Groups! Take a look at the list below, shared by the different community categories. If your group is listed here, give this post a kudo so we can celebrate with you!   We love our User Groups and the difference they make in the lives of our Community! Thank you to all the new User Groups, new User Group leaders--we look forward to hearing about your successes and the impact you will leave!   In addition to our monthly New User Group spotlight, it's a great time to share some of the latest events happening in our User Group community! Take a look at the list below to find one that fits your schedule and need! There's a great combination of in-person and virtual events to choose from. It's a great time of year to connect and engage with User Groups both locally and online. Please Welcome Our NEW User Groups   Power Platform: Heathcare Power Platform User Group Power Platform Connect Hub Power Platform Usergroup Denmark Mexico Norte- Power Platform User Group Pune Power User Group Sudbury Power Platform User GroupMicrosoft User Group GhanaMPPBLR - Microsoft Power Platform Bengaluru User Group Power Apps:   Myrtle Beach Power Platform User GroupAnanseTechWB PowerApps Copilot Studio: Pathfinders Power Platform Community Dynamics365: Cairo, Egypt MSD 365 Business Central/NAV/F&O User GruopMS Dynamics 365 Business Central LatamCincinnati OH D365 F&O User Group February User Group Events February 2024 Cleveland Power Platform User GroupPortallunsj - Februar 2024Indiana D365/AX February User Group MeetingQ1 2024 KC Power Platform and Dynamics 365 CRM Users Group 

Super Users 2024 Season One is Here!

We are excited to announce the first season of our 2024 Super Users is here! Our kickoff to the new year welcomes many returning Super Users and several new faces, and it's always exciting to see the impact these incredible individuals will have on the Community in 2024! We are so grateful for the daily difference they make in the Community already and know they will keep staying engaged and excited for all that will happen this year.   How to Spot a Super User in the Community:Have you ever written a post or asked for help in the Community and had it answered by a user with the Super User icon next to their name? It means you have found the actual, real-life superheroes of the Power Platform Community! Super Users are our heroes because of the way they consistently make a difference in the Community. Our amazing Super Users help keep the Community a safe place by flagging spam and letting the Community Managers know about issues. They also make the Community a great place to find answers, because they are often the first to offer solutions and get clarity on questions. Finally, Super Users share valuable insights on ways to keep the Community growing, engaging, and looking ahead!We are honored to reveal the new badges for this season of Super Users! Congratulations to all the new and returning Super Users!     To better answer the question "What is a Super User?" please check out this article: Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Did You Attend the Microsoft Power Platform Conference in 2022 or 2023? Claim Your Badge Today!

If you were one of the thousands of people who joined us at the first #MPPC Microsoft Power Platform Conference in 2022 in Orlando--or attended the second-annual conference in Las Vegas in 2023--we are excited to honor you with a special community badge! Show your support for #MPPC Microsoft Power Platform Conference this year by claiming your badge!         Just follow this link to claim your badge for attending #MPPC in 2022 and/or 2023: MPPCBadgeRequest    Want to earn your badge for 2024? Just keep watching our News & Announcements for the latest updates on #MPPC24.

Users online (2,684)