cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattB-MSFT
Microsoft
Microsoft

.net SDK for Dataverse - Dataverse ServiceClient - Now available now GA.

Folks, 

As many of you know, we have an existing .net full framework SDK ( CrmServiceClient and Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk ) that we provide for folks to develop client applications that communicate with Dataverse.  This SDK has existed for a long period and arose from the Dynamics 365 aspects of our platform.  The CrmServiceClient and underlying apsects where built to work with and are supported on the Microsoft .net framework, versions 4.6.2 - 4.8. 

We have continued to support this SDK over the last many years over many versions of our platform.   

Dataverse ServiceClient

As some of you know, we have been developing an updated version of this SDK Client called the Dataverse ServiceClient.  After a great deal of internal testing, internal use, public feedback and refinement We have shipped the 1.0 of the Dataverse Service Client. 

Please see the announcement blog here: Dataverse Service Client is now Generally Available | Microsoft Power Apps

We are continuing to invest in this area and will improve this over time for developers.  

This client is intended to be utilized as part of .net framework and .net core applications. To-date we have shipped and are aware of applications utilizing this client running on Linux .net core apps, windows apps, Asp.net, Asp.net Core, Blazor server, Azure Functions, App Services and traditional command line utilities used cross platform. 

The client can be found on Nuget today here: Microsoft.PowerPlatform.Dataverse.Client 

The code for this client is published via GitHub here PowerPlatform-DataverseServiceClient and we encourage folks with issues or questions to report them there. 

MattB-MSFT

8 REPLIES 8
cchannon
Super User
Super User

W00t!  This is MUCH needed! Can't wait to put this to use in Azure Functions, in particular!

joeristroy
Helper I
Helper I

@MattB-MSFT , really hoping to see an extension for IServiceCollection to make wiring up DI easy for the ServiceClient in the app startup 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Its on the todo list.. though we are still discussing the way we are going to do it,  

There are scenarios that make sense for Singleton, and then Scenarios that make sense for other types of state management.   

Licht

Does this impact plugin development? or we can still use the CoreAssemblies SDK?

No, this is just the Client SDK. Plugins are still 4.6.2

@MattB-MSFT any chance we can get you to drop us a hint about the modernization of plugin frameworks? I think I speak for prodevs everywhere when I say we're pretty tired of having to use relics like system.runtime.serialization... and with 4.6.1 out of support, we're all getting a bit itchy.

Wouldn't that be amazing!

But I'm afraid porting the entire platform to .net core is still somewhat far away as they still don't even seem to have been able to get rid of all the classic aspx-based config screens by now 🙂

Can't hurt to ask! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (4,312)