cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenthub
Frequent Visitor

Attended RPA vs Unattended RPA - running on the cloud.

Hi all. After loosing several days worth of business due to hurricane Ian, we are trying to reassess some of our processes. 

One of those processes we are looking at, is the RPA attended process we use. It currently sits on a local machine and runs our daily processes. After the hurricane hit, we lost power and internet for several days which caused a lot of manual catch up work for me 😕

Is there anyway to host this on a cloud pc (already tried windows 365) without using the unattended license? We want to minimize down time incase there is a future outage like what we experienced. 

Is the unattended license even capable of running on a cloud pc or VM without it being open? 

Just looking for ideas so please, toss them this way!

2 REPLIES 2
ThomasFonn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Maybe you could have the flow on a PC that is connected to via a remote desktop session and run it that way?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/virtual-desktops <- this is in preview at the moment, and I haven't had a chance to try it out myself.
I've done this in OpenRPA with their "child sessions" to solve a similar problem

The Virtual Desktop Agent won't work on any of our existing VM's since we are running 2012 R2. 

Also, the issue I would see here if we updated to a compatible operating system, would be the same with the windows 365 piece. If the internet connection was disrupted the VM would kick the user, and therefore not run the flows since an active user is not logged in. 

I'm not sure how it works with the unattended license though, and don't want to spend the $150 to find out at this point. (A free 7-day trial would be nice!)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,242)