cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r96359
Helper III
Helper III

Can Power Automate share variables with Power Automate Desktop?

I have an RPA that looks for specific emails, and manipulates attachments.

I use PAD to move data from attachments to excel. I need to pass the Power Automate email FROM variable to PAD so I can write that to excel.

How can variables be passed to Power Automate Desktop from Power Automate?

I have found documentation how PAD variables can be passed to PA but not the other way around.

Am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Henrik_M
Resolver III
Resolver III

You have to define the Input Variable in PAD and save the desktop flow. Afterwards, the Run a flow built with PA will have input field where you can insert your variables 🙂

View solution in original post

Contact support to find out what's wrong ^^

12 REPLIES 12
Henrik_M
Resolver III
Resolver III

Henrik_M_0-1611926649425.png

Afterwards, it will be available in the Cloud Flow.

@Henrik_M I found that as well.

What I am looking for is how a PA variable can be passed to PAD, not the other way around.

How can variables be passed to PAD from PA?

Thanks

@Henrik_M Is correct. First you setup the PAD to accept the incoming external variables. Then you go  to the flow step in your Cloud Flow that calls that PAD and you will see those variables. Then you tell PAD to populate the values of those variables with whatever you need.

Hi Josh, Thanks! I will investigate then mark solution for @Henrik_M .

@joshd111 Is there any documentation on this? I couldn't find anything. Thx!

What I am looking for is how a PA variable can be passed to PAD, not the other way around.

How can variables be passed to PAD from PA?

Your post is nonsense, friend 🤔

Maybe I'm asking this the wrong way. 

I am trying to pull dynamic content from Power Automate. Specifically from "When a new email arrives v3" "From" so that I can use that "From" within the following Power Automate Desktop routine.

I assumed that would be called a variable but I guess I am wrong. My apologies.

@Henrik_M , @joshd111 

I created a variable in Power Automate called emailFrom and set the value to dynamic content "From".

I saved that and am looking at the Power Automate Desktop embedded solution and I do not see that the emailFrom variable has been passed as an Input variable from Power Automate. Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thank you

Untitled.pngUntitled1.png

Henrik_M
Resolver III
Resolver III

You have to define the Input Variable in PAD and save the desktop flow. Afterwards, the Run a flow built with PA will have input field where you can insert your variables 🙂

@Henrik_M , @joshd111 

I set up the input variable in PAD, saved PAD, but now cannot find the variable within dynamic content in PA?

I'm assuming that I need to see it in PA so I can set the value to transfer that value back to PAD. What am I missing? Thanks

r96359_0-1611953942127.png

Contact support to find out what's wrong ^^

@Henrik_M 

I found the issue. Even thought I saved PAD and PA flows, the variable wasn't being recognized due to loss of connection to the on prem data gateway. Once I re-selected the connection on the PAD flow action in PA everything was fine.

Thanks for the help as well @joshd111 

r96359_2-1612503172883.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (55,366)