cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LogicSmith
Helper IV
Helper IV

Differences between free and Premium?

I am enthused with Power Automate, and hope to convince the boss to pay for the Premium version. However, I have not been able to find a definitive list of what you get with Premium. We would love to be able to do the following: 

• Save flows to specified directory / repo / backup
  • Run flows via a command line app
  • Run flows from Azure DevOps after a code deployment

Can someone confirm this, or point me to a list of what you get with Premium? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Here's a link to documentation that talks about the differences between Power Automate Desktop licensed through Windows 10/11 and a Premium Organization account.  Power Automate for desktop prerequisites & limitations - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

For your questions -

• PAD flows are saved to either OneDrive Personal or a Power Platform Environment Dataverse database.  They aren't stored in folders/directories.  Premium will let you store them in a specified environment.
  • Premium will let you schedule and run flows using a Power Automate Cloud flow.  There really is no way to run them from a command line.
  • Using Cloud Flows you should be able to schedule a PAD flow as part of a DevOps pipeline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365EduCon in Chicago on Sept. 26-30 where I'll be presenting on the Power Platform!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Here's a link to documentation that talks about the differences between Power Automate Desktop licensed through Windows 10/11 and a Premium Organization account.  Power Automate for desktop prerequisites & limitations - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

For your questions -

• PAD flows are saved to either OneDrive Personal or a Power Platform Environment Dataverse database.  They aren't stored in folders/directories.  Premium will let you store them in a specified environment.
  • Premium will let you schedule and run flows using a Power Automate Cloud flow.  There really is no way to run them from a command line.
  • Using Cloud Flows you should be able to schedule a PAD flow as part of a DevOps pipeline.

Join me at 365EduCon in Chicago on Sept. 26-30 where I'll be presenting on the Power Platform!
LogicSmith
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks - the link helped a lot. Was a bit surprised this information was not more prominently displayed. Sounds like PAD has some work to do before they can be thought of as a test automation system. Being able to save and manage your files is a major trait of ANY development environment, so I'm surprised they did it this way.

Think of it as more of a Macro recorder for your desktop.  It wasn't designed to be a test automation system.  It can be used for that to some extent but that wasn't the original intent.

PAG
Resolver I
Resolver I

Well, those might be the official answers, but you could try these:

> Save flows to specified directory / repo / backup

Copy and paste your flows to notepad for backup purposes or to share flows to other users.

> Run flows via a command line app

It's possible to use "ping" to run flows from Command Line or Windows Task Scheduler, see solution: https://power.automate.gallery/run-flow-from-command-line-prompt-or-windows-task-scheduler 

LogicSmith
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks - that's a pretty cool solution. You could actually use an EXE of any name, provided it's on the path. Even just an old C program with an empty Main() would work. You just want a unique name that doesn't match anything else in the path.

That's what I like about tools like this (and most every other test automation system I've used) - if you can't find a way to do it, you can find a way by thinking outside of the box.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022- Season 2 has kicked off!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,003)