cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Edge - Open a Downloaded File

I am attempting to use a Flow in Power Automate Desktop to Open Microsoft Edge, navigate to a webpage, login, set parameters of a daily report and then download several unique .csv files. I need to then save the .csv files with a new name to a different location.

Really, I just need a way to open the file I just downloaded.

Is there a reliable way to make this happen? I can do this pretty easily by sending keystrokes of keyboard shortcuts, but would much rather use a less error prone option. 

I've tried everything I can think of, including navigating to the "Downloads bar" and attempting to control the Options Menu as a UI element as well as a web element. 

An alternative solution would be to launch an explorer.exe window to the downloads folder and get the file name with the most recent modified date, but Power Automate Desktop hasn't made that easy either. 

Any thoughts or options would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Resolver I
Resolver I

You should be able to Get files in folder and sort by Creation time:

Henrik_M_0-1611044483389.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Resolver I
Resolver I

You should be able to Get files in folder and sort by Creation time:

Henrik_M_0-1611044483389.png

View solution in original post

Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

I have done a same process as yours before by using Edge and I got the same requirements as yours also. Check out the two pictures I attached below.

So, first of all, you must change the settings from MS Edge so that will always ask you when downloading any files from the internet. It will ask you for where you want to save the file. 

Screenshot 2021-01-19 172602.png

Then you need to add more steps on PAD for clicking on the Save as button, specify the location, and file name for you downloading files. 

Screenshot 2021-01-19 172733.png

By using this way, you will know exactly where you stored your file with the name you set for it.

Thanks and hope it can help you. 

Mike

---------------------------------

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark my post as a solution! to guide others

Regular Visitor

I am still having issues with this flow. As for the "Get Files in Folder" option, I can sort by creation time. However, i need to be able to return the latest file and "Save As" with a new name in a different directory. 

I tried the option of changing the download settings in Edge. I can not get PAD to recognize the "Save As" button as a UI element. 

Robin.Core.ActionException: Click failed (failed to get UI element)
at Robin.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.ClickElementInWindow.Execute(ActionContext context)
at Robin.Runtime.Engine.ActionRunner.RunAction(String action, Dictionary`2 inputArguments, Dictionary`2 outputArguments, IActionStatement statement)

It seems like this should be a fairly simple task. I'm sure i am just missing something.

Regular Visitor

I had a large number of similar files (1000s) in the destination folder. As a results, the "Get Files in Folder" function appeared to hang in PAD (I assume the sort function of all of the .csv files was taking a long time to return the most recently created file). Once I reduced the number of files in the destination folder, the process worked as expected. I marked the first answer as the solution.

Resolver I
Resolver I

Have you tried the 'Download from Web' action which you can specify the URL, the location and file name 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (30,320)