cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGIT

Excel Task remains running after Close Excel Command completed

Hi. I have multiple PAD flows running that work with excel spreadsheets. If the spreadsheets are saved only in a local folder, then closing excel command completes fine but if the spreadsheet is saved to a synced sharepoint folder then close excel command completes ok in PAD but I get errors in subsequent runs as the excel task is still running (Task Manager confims it is still running but using 0% memory etc). If i stop the task running manually all works well again. 

I do need the spreadsheets to be synced as I access them from elsewhere too. I could move the spreadsheets to dedicated local file and then add a later step in the relevant PAD flows to copy the updated file to sharepoint but was wondering if anyone clever has worked out how to properly close excel when working with sharepoint located files?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Hi @JGIT 

Try killing/terminating Excel.exe process after the first work is done and before reusing Excel for something else.

View solution in original post

Agnius
Most Valuable Professional

@JGIT , this is a completely different issue. It's not closing the Excel that fails, its the Sync with OneDrive or SharePoint that makes your Excel flows fail. This happens a lot when writing (updating content) to Excel on such auto-synced network locations. We generally avoid doing that and if it ever is relevant, we copy the files locally, do any required adjustments and then push it to OD/SP afterwards.

Reading such files is more or less okay. But as soon as any updates are involved, it tends to crash because of the auto-sync happening in the background. The only viable workaround for this is changing your SP settings to disable auto-sync and then manually pushing the files in.

If you terminate the Excel process, you will actually end up with your files not getting synced properly, meaning that the next flow will use outdated files in SP.

The other option is to do it via PA Cloud flows, which have direct integrations with files on SP, meaning you can read/write files from SharePoint in a safer way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark it as the preferred solution. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Regards, Agnius Bartninkas

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Hi @JGIT 

Try killing/terminating Excel.exe process after the first work is done and before reusing Excel for something else.

Thanks - that makes sense! Will try it and advise. 

I'm guessing that the Close Excel action follows other Excel actions? Try inserting a Wait before closing.

I've had similar issues, where PAD seems to try to close the file, while still reading from it or something. This results in the process locking up - not failing, but not continuing either. Resulting in a complete halt of the entire robot.

Adding Waits before the Close Excel fixed it.

Seems to be a problem with shared files (we sync all local files with OneDrive).

Terminating gthe process excel.exe has worked as one solution. I think excel is staying open after the close command as it is checking to see if its in sync with sharepoint/onedrive. Ive tried a wait before close and a wait after close but it seems to need a terminate process command to really close. 

Agnius

The excel.exe process does end properly after some time. Also, usually takes a little longer if you save when closing, rather than explicitly saving changes via the Save Excel action.

Terminating the process should not be considered as a 'Solution', because that is in general one of the worst ways of going about it. It is the app that is not closed right away, not the document. You can verify that by trying to launch it again right after closing and you will see that there are no issues with the document being open.

So, by terminating the process, you're basically braking the normal flow of Excel as an application, which is never a good thing. You should only do that in cases where not doing it prevents your flow from operating properly. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark it as the preferred solution. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks - I have explicitly saved the excel instance/file. I have then set wait periods then set excel to close the instance and have then set further wait periods before attempting to continue with the flow/starting another flow that requires excel. In every case I end up with flow fails and multiple excel processes remaining open. 

Agnius

You should also investigate the root cause behind the failure. Perhaps it fails before it actually closes the Excel instance?

Also, you might as well continue with the flow even if the Excel process is running. As noted, some Excel processes continue running after closing the document. This simply means the app itself has not stopped yet, but the document is closed, meaning it should not affect any further actions in your flow whatsoever. You can thus continue, regardless of whether the process is running or not.

You can also check if the specific Excel instance is alive or not by checking the handle on the instance variable.

If %ExcelInstance.Handle% is not empty (can only be empty before opening Excel) and is not equal to 0, the Excel instance is alive. If it is equal to 0, the instance has successfully been closed, meaning the document is no longer open.

We usually do it as follows:

IF the instance is alive, we give it up to 5 seconds for the process to stop.

If it then does not stop, we run a PowerShell script to close the Excel app:

$excel = [Runtime.Interopservices.Marshal]::GetActiveObject('Excel.Application')
$excel.Visible = $false
$excel.DisplayAlerts = $false

$excel.Quit()
[System.Runtime.Interopservices.Marshal]::ReleaseComObject($excel)
Remove-Variable -Name Excel 
[GC]::Collect() 
[GC]::WaitForPendingFinalizers()
if ($excel.Workbooks.Count -eq 0)
{
    Stop-Process -Name EXCEL -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}

If this still does not close all Excel processes, then we terminate it.

Thanks again. Very useful. The flow continues and finishes fine. It's the next flow that fails as it is unable to open an excel file. The excel process is open and alive and effectively blocking opening another excel file (which happens to have the same name as the web backend always calls the downloads the same name - for the avoidance of doubt, i have deleted the previous file and even tried adding in a renaming step so that the subsquent flow can succeed - which it does but I then end up with multiple excel processes remaining live and the problem is exacerbated).

Closing excel works fine when the excel files are locally saved and not synced elsewhere. It only occurs with excel files that are autosaved to sharepoint. 

Agnius

@JGIT , this is a completely different issue. It's not closing the Excel that fails, its the Sync with OneDrive or SharePoint that makes your Excel flows fail. This happens a lot when writing (updating content) to Excel on such auto-synced network locations. We generally avoid doing that and if it ever is relevant, we copy the files locally, do any required adjustments and then push it to OD/SP afterwards.

Reading such files is more or less okay. But as soon as any updates are involved, it tends to crash because of the auto-sync happening in the background. The only viable workaround for this is changing your SP settings to disable auto-sync and then manually pushing the files in.

If you terminate the Excel process, you will actually end up with your files not getting synced properly, meaning that the next flow will use outdated files in SP.

The other option is to do it via PA Cloud flows, which have direct integrations with files on SP, meaning you can read/write files from SharePoint in a safer way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ashleypettit1_0-1659576399473.png

Ashleypettit1_1-1659576437975.png

Importantly this works most of the time yet not all the time. Thus I'm going to use the powershell script someone provided above. 

I also use OneDrive so perhaps this is related. That said what I'm doing is running terminate excel and yet under task manager -> details I can see excel is still running. Perhaps this is the sync to Onedrive discussed above. 

The reason this is annoying for me is I run rather long/complex flows. These flows occasionally run into random errors and if they do and the error is not locally handled then it restarts the flow. If excel remains open from the failed run then the subsent run will error saying the file is already open somewhere else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On terminate excel, excel getting corrupted, is there any way to to close all running excel safely

@Anonymous 

The only way of properly closing excel which also works fine is by the in-built action given by PAD ie; Close Excel which closes the ExcelInstance opened by the Launch Excel action.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (2,043)