cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dragsdale

Executing JavaScript

I am experimenting the PAD Scripts.  I got the "Run VBScript" to work, now trying the "Run JavaScript" action.

I expected the statement: console.log("Text Here") to populate the return variable "JavascriptOutput", but it thru an exception.  Based upon a response from another user, I tried using "WScript.echo("Text Here") and it worked.

From what I have read, 'WScript" is can be used in JScript or VBScript, but the description says "Run JavaScript".  I don't know if this is an error or what.  I am an experienced reactive web developer, so I would like to be able to leverage JavaScript when possible.  

dragsdale_0-1616161143238.png

Thanks.  I am excited by the potential of PAD, it could be another game changer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

As you already figured out yourself, the runtime understands JScript, which is a ECMAscript based dialect from Microsoft. Console.log isn't part of the original spec, that's why it doesn't work.

You could run your JavaScript code within a browser of your choice with:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/power-automate/desktop-flows/actions-reference/webautomation#execut...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

As you already figured out yourself, the runtime understands JScript, which is a ECMAscript based dialect from Microsoft. Console.log isn't part of the original spec, that's why it doesn't work.

You could run your JavaScript code within a browser of your choice with:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/power-automate/desktop-flows/actions-reference/webautomation#execut...

kelway
Advocate II
Advocate II

A caution I just discovered with javascript outputting a variable from WScript.echo: this will append a CRLF to the end, and so when I was trying to concatenate strings into a filename box with the variable, it was sending an enter to the dialogue and exiting it. Was more difficult to find than I would have liked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,142)