cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerautomate49

Extracting columns from excel table

Apologies if this is a trivial question, i am a fairly new power automate user but couldnt find a solution from extensive searching.

My problem:
My flow creates an excel file with a list of user emails. This is in the fundamental form of a table (lets call it Test123):

powerautomate49_0-1633954749313.png

Attempted solution:

Using the excel "get a row", should i not therefore be able to extract the email list?

powerautomate49_1-1633954870145.png

The above image has the correct location and Table set as "Table123" but what should the Key Value be? When i run it without the Key Value, the following is produced (the name shows the email as expected):

powerautomate49_2-1633954994246.png

How do I extract this all the emails from the "Name" column in the "Test123" table?

I have also tried using the "contains" expression to no success.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
powerautomate49

4 REPLIES 4
powerautomate49

Solution found using the approach outlined in the solution of this

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67868270/how-to-fetch-specific-column-data-from-xls-in-microsoft...

MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

I know you solved your how, but more importantly, I think Get Row is used to find which row a value is in.  So, in your example above, you enter "test@email.com" in "Key value" and it returns "3" as in Row 3 for a variable that you can use later.

azimzicar
Helper II
Helper II

@MichaelAnnis 

This is for Power Automate 'Cloud' not desktop, how do we report this to admins so they can move it?

Yes. I ran into this Friday when I tried to do it for myself. I always thought this was possible, I don’t know how a simple vlookup on DataTable type property isn’t available on the desktop version. However, there are 2 workarounds. 

1. You could use PAD to write a Match formula to a cell in Excel, and then read the resulting answer. Ex. MATCH(%LookforText%,A:A,0). The match formula will display the row the exact text is found in. PAD can read this and use it to define the row needed. 

2.  Run a “For each” or a “Loop” on the column set and say if CurrentItem = %LookforText% then do something. 

While the loop would obviously take long in large data, I opted for option 2 Friday when I only had about 8 rows, and it worked very quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,729)