cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevkan

Flow runs only as expected when started from within the designer

I recently created a flow that connects to a Bot Framework bot via HTTP calls allowing the user to have a conversation. It's far from ideal having designed it as a proof of concept (and having fun) than anything else. The issue is that when I'm in the designer and test the flow, it works as expected. But, if I attempt to run the flow from the main list of flows, it runs doing a single pass (seemingly) thru  each of the subflows, and then ends. The subflow that would display the bot's responses, pop's up the dialog box but the responses aren't captured. I can see, at the same time, that the bot is, in fact, responding.

Here's a quick description. The flow is comprised of a main flow and several subflows. Nothing happens in the main other than calling the subs. I have one sub that creates several variables (Create_Properties) and another that gets the token (Get_Token), both used elsewhere. The others either get the activities (Get_Activities) from the bot, generates the dialog (Generate_Dialog) to display the activities as readable messages (plus user input), or sends the user's response (Send_Activities).

Here's the "flow":

1. Main calls Create_Properties

2. Main calls Get_Token

2. Main calls Get_Activities

3. Get_Activities calls Generate_Dialog

4. Generate_Dialog calls Send_Activities

5. Send_Activities calls Get_Activities

(Repeat 3-5).

As I said, it works perfectly only when in the designer. Is this a case of the properties not being shared across the different flows when it's run stand-alone? Or, is something else going on? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Zave
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

I would suggest using a loop action instead of having Subflow 1 > Sublfow 2 > Subflow 3 > Subflow 1.

My guess is that the flow crashes when run from the Console due to memory and probably crashes when run through the Designer, it's just faster when run through Console. 

Pavel_NaNoi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

usually if something works in the designer but not in the run console its just a case of the run console working too fast, if Zaves' suggestion doesn't work out try putting a bunch of 1 second wait action inbetween each subflow run. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,743)