cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cayshin
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to access/reference a Table cell or List element?

Say I have an Excel file with a variable number of rows, but the same number of columns.

I need to extract the data from the specific columns in each row and set that cell value to a variable.

So far this is what I have to select the used range, but I'm stuck on the For Each loop.

Cayshin_0-1607609902529.png

I've used Message Boxes to confirm the For Each loop is iterating through each row, but how do I access a specific element of that row?

For instance, in my For Each loops, I want set 4 different variables, one to each value from each column of that row. I can't figure out how to access the specific column's value.
In the Flow variables, I see I can expand CurrentItem to select some elements, but not how to reference a column.

Cayshin_1-1607610409602.png

So another idea I had was to Split the row to generate a List, but then I ran into the same problem of how to access an element in that list. Like if I was using Python, the List's Index[0] would end up as the first column, Index[1] would be the second column...

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dszum
Regular Visitor

Hey Cayshin,

CurrentItem variable from the "For each" action is of type Datarow, so you should be able to access a column's value by using the index position.

For example %CurrentItem[0]%' will give you a value of the first column. 

Dszum_0-1608137390143.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cayshin
Resolver II
Resolver II

So I just solved my own question, but I don't think it's very pretty or efficient. If anyone has a better idea, please post below.

I used a Count variable and a Switch condition to set the correct variables.

Cayshin_0-1607611245170.png

Cayshin_1-1607611288560.png

Dszum
Regular Visitor

Hey Cayshin,

CurrentItem variable from the "For each" action is of type Datarow, so you should be able to access a column's value by using the index position.

For example %CurrentItem[0]%' will give you a value of the first column. 

Dszum_0-1608137390143.png

Thanks @Dszum, that's exactly what I was hoping for!

AdminSCMENAPP

@Dszum Is there any possible way to increment index number based on loop count? 

@AdminSCMENAPP  Yes %ArrayName[LoopCounterVarName]%

For example %CurrentItem[SomeCounter]% (you can declared %SomeCounter% and increase it in your For Each).

Everything you write between percent symbol % % that matches a declared variable name on your flow, the compiler will refer to it.

Have a nice day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,608)