cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juan_Sebastian

How to move files that start and end with a default name but regardless of the middle argument?

Good day,

Let me explain, I have a flow in power automate desktop in which a file is downloaded to the "downloads" folder and after that it is moved to another folder, but a little over a week ago the application was updated and it stopped working .

Juan_Sebastian_1-1638551548386.png

I did the test with the specific name and if it works (example_example_20211203.json) but when I add (example_example _ *. Json) it shows me an error.

Note: where is (*) the current date is added.

What alternative do I have?

7 REPLIES 7
MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

do you always need current date, because if so, you could do this:

MichaelAnnis_0-1638552582282.png

MichaelAnnis_1-1638552610603.png

The inside of that "Convert datetime to text" is:

MichaelAnnis_2-1638552677487.png

Then, you can tell it to Move File 'example_example_%TODA_yyyymmdd%.json

Hope this helps.

The file is downloaded from a web page and the name format is similar to the example

example-example-20211203.json

This task is daily so it was automated. It was working fine for a few months looking for the file in the following way example-example - *.json and moving it to the destination folder but a few days ago it stopped working and showed an error.

This happened after the last update of the application.

Note: the downloaded file has the numbers that represent the current date embedded.

Okay, so, if it's ran daily and will always have today's date, then what I gave you will definitely work.

VJR
Super User
Super User

HI @Juan_Sebastian 

You should be able to get @MichaelAnnis' solution working if you always want to move files with current date.

Several members on the forum are having issues with PAD actions related to files and folders after upgrading their version. Maybe thats why you are also facing the sudden failing of the flow.

John_Mavridis
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello,

Please note that the wildcard issue with the file related actions has been resolved and the fix is included in December's release, which is expected in the following days.

Thanks for your reply.

What day will the update be released?

John_Mavridis
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Juan_Sebastian 

You should receive the Update notification in your desktop app soon, the release is expected in the following hours.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,858)