Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbang3000
Helper II
Helper II

How to order files by creation time into list variable

Hello!

I have a group of photo files that are uploaded into Sharepoint via MS Forms.  This data is sent to Excel as their Sharepoint path address.  Unfortunately, these files uploaded via MS Forms are in a mxed up order.  I have the path of the files but want to be able to arrange them in order of creation/modified date into a List Variable from oldest created date to newest.

Any ideas?  Is there a way to look at the file path creation date, then sort them in a list?

Please do let me know if you need more information and thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @tbang3000 

What do you mean in "these files uploaded via MS Forms are in a mixed up order"? List items in Excel are ordered by the date/time when the answer was posted by Forms responder, aren't they?

Want to know when the original image file was created before uploading? You might find that information from the Exif metadata embedded in each image file. However it sounds a bit tricky to me...

If you want to sort image files by the date/time they were uploaded to SharePoint / OneDrive, I suppose you can use the Microsoft Graph API to refer to the properties of each file.

Thank you.

shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello again @tbang3000 

I think you would better to consider using cloud flow in "Power Automate" rather than using desktop flow in "Power Automate Desktop" for this scenario. They have connectors such like "SharePoint - Get file properties" or "SharePoint - Get files (properties only)" in Power Automate.

Support for SharePoint Document Library Properties | Power Automate Blog (microsoft.com)

I hope above information is useful for your project.

Thank you.

tbang3000
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the input on these, i've selfed sovled it by copying files into folder, then sorting them into the correct order.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,323)