cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwavell

How to pass data between desktop flow and cloud flow?

I have created a desktop flow that captures a table of information from a website. I would like to push this to a Power App table and then use a Cloud Flow to act on this data. Is this possible? Is there a better way to pass this table data to a cloud flow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @bwavell ,

First u need to call in powerapps for flows,

in tat flow create a select ur destop flows,

in desktop pad create output variable nd pass ur data

while selecting desktop flow in cloud u will get tat variable names wat u created in pad.

pass it into powerapps in respond option,

again after ur process if u need u can call cloud flow nd update as per ur requirements,

so tat u need to call u cloud flows,one is for extract data, second as per ur 2nd requirements.

Capture.PNG

If it works please mark it as a solution ,and like it from that it will help for others also.

Regards,

Ahammad Riyaz

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bwavell

I discovered I can send output variables from desktop to cloud. Although it appears to only be basic types. The CustomObject to JSON does not work on a DataTable so I have to manually convert to JSON with string appending and magic to replace new lines and quotes etc… Can at least then just parse the JSON in Cloud. 

I had hoped the data connector would allow a desktop flow to update a cloud database so the DB could be used for complex data passing. 

chilismaug
Regular Visitor

I have the same question, except to pass a list of values from a cloud flow to a desktop flow. It would be great to pass a list or datatable variable as an input variable to a desktop flow.

Maybe MS intends us to use Dataverse for this kind of thing? 

Hi @bwavell ,

First u need to call in powerapps for flows,

in tat flow create a select ur destop flows,

in desktop pad create output variable nd pass ur data

while selecting desktop flow in cloud u will get tat variable names wat u created in pad.

pass it into powerapps in respond option,

again after ur process if u need u can call cloud flow nd update as per ur requirements,

so tat u need to call u cloud flows,one is for extract data, second as per ur 2nd requirements.

Capture.PNG

If it works please mark it as a solution ,and like it from that it will help for others also.

Regards,

Ahammad Riyaz

takolota
Super User
Super User

@bwavell 

You can check my documentation & template flows for how to pass any data table to cloud flows & parse it into JSON.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Automate-Reports-From-External-Datasourc...

I just use Write to CSV and input a custom delimiter so there’s no confusion with delimiters & in-data commas. Then I read that CSV file with the Read Text action into a large string variable with the custom delimiters.

Then that string table can be sent to the cloud flow in an output variable and parsed with a Select action where the main array is the output variable split on line breaks & each value for each column is set by splitting the current item() on the custom delimiter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,614)