cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DABot

How to preserve output variable data type

When I run a desktop flow that reads values from a range of cells from Excel, the variable produced is a data table data type. When I try to pass that variable as an output variable to another flow, it is automatically converted to text. How can I preserve the data table data type for output variables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DABot

My solution was to copy the desktop flow that reads the Excel range into the calling flow as a sub flow. I had to modify the input/output variables a bit, but this was a fairly simple solution that preserves the data table for that variable.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Have you tried converting the table to JSON and then send the JSON to the other flow where it can then be Parsed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
John_Mavridis
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello,

That's indeed a limitation for the time being, as Power Automate Desktop currently only supports text and sensitive text as input variables. Supporting more variable types like lists and data tables is in the mid-term roadmap of the product, and will probably take place over the coming months.

Interesting info! What about variable types such as browser instances and even UI elements?

DABot

My solution was to copy the desktop flow that reads the Excel range into the calling flow as a sub flow. I had to modify the input/output variables a bit, but this was a fairly simple solution that preserves the data table for that variable.

View solution in original post

@Henrik_M wrote:

Interesting info! What about variable types such as browser instances and even UI elements?

@Henrik_M 

I think we need to wait. Let the developers do their work . 

I remember you in ProcessRobot forum 😂.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,043)