cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing decimal numbers on Excel

Hello everyone !

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I haven't found a topic about it so might a well ask it !

I have a problem with Power Automate Desktop and importing decimal numbers on Excel.

I have a flow that goes and gets a table from the Web and then saves it to Excel. My problem is that once the data is on Excel, I get an error that the decimal numbers are considered as text on Excel and not numbers, so I can't do operations with them on Excel without canceling the error by hand (which is not the point).

I have tried converting them to numbers on my flow, but no watter what i do Excel consideres them as text and not numbers.

It does not happen with int numbers though so i think the problem may be the comma ? The numbers are set like this "1,2" for example.

Could someone help me ? 

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Mavridis
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi there,

This may be caused by the regional settings you use, in which the decimal operator is most probably the comma, as opposed to the dot character. This affects how Excel represents numeric values, but it does not affect how Power Automate Desktop handles them, as PAD uses the dot character for that purpose.

To work around this issue, you would need to slightly process the decimal numbers within PAD, before writing them in Excel. Specifically, assuming that these values already come in text format, as part of a table extracted from the web, you would need to use the 'Replace text' action on each of these values. In this action, you would need to replace the comma character (,) with the dot character (.) - the output of this action should then be in the proper format, which will be handled as a numeric value when sent to Excel.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John_Mavridis
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi there,

This may be caused by the regional settings you use, in which the decimal operator is most probably the comma, as opposed to the dot character. This affects how Excel represents numeric values, but it does not affect how Power Automate Desktop handles them, as PAD uses the dot character for that purpose.

To work around this issue, you would need to slightly process the decimal numbers within PAD, before writing them in Excel. Specifically, assuming that these values already come in text format, as part of a table extracted from the web, you would need to use the 'Replace text' action on each of these values. In this action, you would need to replace the comma character (,) with the dot character (.) - the output of this action should then be in the proper format, which will be handled as a numeric value when sent to Excel.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello !

Thank you so much for your answer !

Yes it actually worked ! I didn't think it would because Excel doesn't take it as a number when i type in "1.2" by hand but it works with PAD ! So thank you again !

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,373)