cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmanjoney
Regular Visitor

Iterate over a SharePoint list to automate data entry into a desktop app

We're looking around at various solutions that would help us automate data entry into a desktop point of sale (POS) application on Windows. Before I go too deeply down the rabbit hole, I wanted to ask the community for a quick sanity check whether what we'd like to do is even feasible.

We have a SharePoint list with each row containing fields that need to be entered into a form in our POS application. 

We were wondering if we could use PAD to iterate over each row of the SP list directly, to grab the field values and enter them into our POS app? I can't seem to find any examples of iterating over a native SharePoint list - I see lots of examples using Excel though.

Am I SOL? Or do we have to rely on some awful scraping strategy to grab the data out of the SharePoint list table html?

Any suggestions or advice appreciated, thanks!
Bob

2 REPLIES 2
vaibhavtandon87
Helper IV
Helper IV

I guess PAD doesnt have an action to get data from SharePoint directly and scrapping screen may not be the best solution. But you may want to use MS - flows to connect and get data from SharePoint in excel  and then use PAD to push that excel data to POS. Could be a longer a method. Thanks!

Daniel_Pa
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi Bob

You could use the "Extract data from webpage" to extract the table data from SharePoint.

If you're willing to venture outside of PAD, Power Automate has native connectors to SharePoint, which would allow you to extract the data directly and pass it onto a Desktop flow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,201)