cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoodyWebTech
Regular Visitor

PAD - Open Browser in Incognito Mode

Hello,

Is there any way to open a Browser in Incognito mode?

I was able to do it only by using a "Run Application" activity, adding the argument "--incognito."

The problem with this is that when I try to use a "Launch new Chrome" with the option "attach to running instance," the browser is not recognized by PAD.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
matow
Power Automate
Power Automate

@MoodyWebTech Try these steps - there's an extra setting needed to enable the Chrome extension "Microsoft Power Automate Desktop (preview)" in Incognito mode, and "Launch new Chrome" needs the name of the Incognito tab (typically "new tab") to attach to the running instance.

1. Visit chrome://extensions and click "Details" for the "Microsoft Power Automate Desktop (preview)" extension, and turn on the "Enable in Incognito" setting towards of the bottom of the page. 
  2. In your flow in Power Automate Desktop, after the action Run Application with argument "--incognito", add a Launch New Chrome step with Launch mode as "Attach to running instance", Attach to Chrome tab as "By title"Tab title as "new tab", and On error as "Retry if an error occurs 1 time(s) with an interval of 2 second(s). It seems around a 1 or 2 second delay is needed between the Run Application and Launch New Chrome actions - this may need to be adjusted for slower computers. 
  3. You should then see the Browser variable populate when the flow is run. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
matow
Power Automate
Power Automate

@MoodyWebTech Try these steps - there's an extra setting needed to enable the Chrome extension "Microsoft Power Automate Desktop (preview)" in Incognito mode, and "Launch new Chrome" needs the name of the Incognito tab (typically "new tab") to attach to the running instance.

1. Visit chrome://extensions and click "Details" for the "Microsoft Power Automate Desktop (preview)" extension, and turn on the "Enable in Incognito" setting towards of the bottom of the page. 
  2. In your flow in Power Automate Desktop, after the action Run Application with argument "--incognito", add a Launch New Chrome step with Launch mode as "Attach to running instance", Attach to Chrome tab as "By title"Tab title as "new tab", and On error as "Retry if an error occurs 1 time(s) with an interval of 2 second(s). It seems around a 1 or 2 second delay is needed between the Run Application and Launch New Chrome actions - this may need to be adjusted for slower computers. 
  3. You should then see the Browser variable populate when the flow is run. 

It worked! Thank you.

MoodyWebTech
Regular Visitor

@matow this solution is no longer working with Chrome. Do you know if there has been an update in PAD that may have affected the connection with the browser in incognito mode?

Karrar

This Works 100% 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVm42RHjB8

Hope This Helps.

Hi, have you managed to find a solution to this? I am getting the incognito window opened, but the website is not getting launched. I am getting error as below:
Failed to assume control of Chrome (communication with browser failed. Make sure add-on is installed).

Extension is already installed and configured for incognito.

@matow Can you help me out please?

Amith444_0-1656039632451.pngAmith444_1-1656039650186.png

@Amith444 As an additional troubleshooting step, can you confirm that Edge is configured to allow background apps per Using browsers and managing extensions - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

To ensure that Microsoft Edge works as expected with Power Automate, disable running background apps when Edge is closed.

To disable this option, navigate to Settings -> System and select the slider next to Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed.

matow_2-1656039880425.png

Amith444
Regular Visitor

Amith444_0-1656040613094.png

Amith444_1-1656040641051.png

Failed to assume control of Microsoft Edge (is the given title '"New tab"' a valid title?).

Getting this error in Edge.

Amith444_2-1656040721877.png

This is the incognito opening in edge.

@matow Once I changed the Tab title to New tab (without quotes) it worked! But may I ask, how can I pass my desired url to Open in this incognito window? I cannot see a option to pass the url or type the url.

Amith444_0-1656041448539.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,459)