cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azrael1018
Frequent Visitor

PAD Select all cells in a worksheet and copy formatting only to another worksheet

Thank you in advance.

This may be somewhat complex.

I do this every month to 64 worksheets.  Hence my desire to automate.

I have used PAD to download the raw csv of the reports I wish to modify.

e.g. 

Balance sheet raw Screenshot 2022-01-14 162750.jpg

I have a second spreadsheet that I copy formatting from:

Balance sheet formats Screenshot 2022-01-14 162750.jpg

I need to copy the formatting from the second spreadsheet to the first spreadsheet.

When doing manually I Ctrl-A second spreadsheet, switch to first spreadsheet Ctrl-Home and Alt-HVR.

Then I save the first spreadsheet as a .xlsx file.

I will also need to add some blank rows and columns and copy specific cells from second to first but I think I see how to do that.

Potentially complicating matters is my second spreadsheet has multiple tabs for formatting the different types of reports.

Balance sheet tabs Screenshot 2022-01-14 162750.jpg

I think I know how to open both spreadsheets in PAD but I am confused how to copy the formatting from one to the other.

BTW (another problem), I tried to do it using Recorder. Nothing goes to my flow, as shown below in after "Recording"

Recorder Screenshot 2022-01-14 163937.jpg

I am sure I must be missing something, but I do not know what.

Just started with PAD this week.  Already got some relatively complex Web Automation flows done to download these files.  Now I need to process them.

Once again, thank you in advance.

David

7 REPLIES 7
MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

Hey David,

Excel VBA, would be a huge tool here, and much faster than anything PAD can do.  Unfortunately trying to click a cell in PAD takes a VERY long time.  It can do it, but it takes a good 10 seconds, so that's out.  Luckily, the VBA wouldn't even be that complex.

We are going to use PAD to get all the filenames, open the Macro workbook, and paste the filenames to A1.  Then, we will use one Macro to loop through all of the files: open the file, extract the type of report from B1 (assuming that is unique - I saw "Balance Sheet"), use a "Select Case" scenario from B1 to determine which tab we want, copy all cells from the tab , paste all formatting to the original file, and save the file where we want; it will do this for every single file.

Here is all you need for PAD:

1, get all the files you want to format into a single folder, such as C:\statements to format

2, Use the 'Get files' action to get all files to %Files%

3, Launch the Macro Workbook

4, Run the Macro

Done

If this is something you are interested in, I can help you build out the VBA Macro, but I want to make sure you are on board, before I spend the time on it.

Let me know,

Mike

----
If my post has answered your question, please thumbs up and mark this post as a solution.

I also offer paid consulting services. If you would like to discuss this option, please feel free to DM me and we can set up a time to join a Zoom call and fix any issues you are having.

Hey Mike,

PAD can be quite slow to click, at least in Web apps.  I converted nearly all of my UI thingamajigs to Mouse Clicks with position.  Thus, I can see what you mean in Excel.

I have worked very sparingly with Excel VBA.  Mainly a few simple items using Record Macro.

I would happily accept your help.  Can we Direct Message on this board?  Or can you DM me to my email.

I did see your reply in my email but did not reply from Gmail as I did not know if I could do so direct to you.

Looking forward,

David

Here's the Excel VBA if you want to get started before we chat.  

I have this set up so your formatting workbook would have another tab called "Files" that PAD would list the files in A1 to A [whatever] which will be defined by "LR" as Last row.  It will find that out on it's own, as long as they are all listed sequentially in column A starting at A1.

Your changes are going to be in "get the Case variable from A2 of the opened file"...I think yours is B2, so you will have to point that in the right place.

Next change, the "Select Case".  Give each Case for all possible strings found in B2, and each resulting tab name for "formattab".

That should be it.  Otherwise, it selects all on the format tab, paste formats on the current file, saves and closes the current file and loops to the next one.

Talk to you next week.  Best of luck!

Below is the macro code:

Sub FormattingWorkbooks()
'
' FormattingWorkbooks Macro
' open each file (listed in Files tab by PAD), identify type of workbook, copy formatting from proper tab, save and close workbook
'

'
Sheets("Files").Select
'get last row to limit the loop run
Dim LR As Long
Range("A1").Select
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
LR = Selection.Row

'dim all variables before loop
Dim filepathandname As String 'the file path and name for the current file in the loop index
Dim formatID As String 'the text identified in the file name used to decide which formatting tab to use
Dim formattab As String 'the formatting tab from the macro workbook to be used to format the current file
Dim AWB As Workbook 'active workbook from filename
Dim i As Integer 'the index for the loop run
i = 1 'the loop will start on A1

'loop for each filename in column A of files (A1 to A & LR)
Do
Sheets("Files").Select
filepathandname = Range("A" & i).Value
Workbooks.Open filename:=filepathandname
'get active workbook name for later window switch after copying cells from macro workbook
Set AWB = ActiveWorkbook

'get the Case variable from A2 of the opened file

formatID = Range("A2").Value
formatID = Trim(formatID) ' removes beginnning or ending spaces off the text
'select which formatting tab we are going to use based on the Case variable
Select Case formatID
Case "UNREALIZED GAINS AND LOSSES"
formattab = "UG"
Case "SECURITY CROSS REFERENCE"
formattab = "SecXRef"
Case Else
MsgBox ("Error - Format not found")
End Select

'copy formatting from format tab
Windows("Copy formatting.xlsm").Activate
Sheets(formattab).Select
Cells.Select
Selection.Copy
Windows(AWB.Name).Activate
Cells.Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveWorkbook.Save
ActiveWindow.Close
i = i + 1 'increase i to get the next filename until we reach LR
Loop Until i > LR
End Sub

----
If my post has answered your question, please thumbs up and mark this post as a solution.

I also offer paid consulting services. If you would like to discuss this option, please feel free to DM me and we can set up a time to join a Zoom call and fix any issues you are having.
Benny_1857
Helper III
Helper III

Hello David,

I have the same experience with you. My friend had a lot of heatting analysis data every month and each zip contains a csv file which need to adjust the column. After adjustment, it has 170 columns and 20,000+ rows.

Here is some suggestion I have. Hope will be useful for you.

Here I find several problem you need to solve before you use PAD solve your excel automation.

1. CSV transfer to XLSX
Currently, it is a very easy work to use Excel Power Query. Normally, for PAD could work more easily, you could ask excel get the csv file from folder and PQ will automatically identify the file. 
PQ is a low code tools for data cleaning in excel. From the picture I saw you even do not need to change anything from your csv file. If you need to insert columns or rows that could be adjust in PQ. Just loading after complete PQ adjustment then adjust the font and fill after the loading in excel sheet.

This is an automatic model in excel for your next 63 csv file. Everytime, you just need to load the csv file from this model and save as a new file name.

Benny_1857_0-1642302470006.png

2 loading 64 file. This is why I suggest read the file from folder not file as file have different file name but we could put different csv file into same folder.

You need to have 3 folders. For instance, Folder A is csv Folder which you put 64 csv files in it. Folder C is xlsx folder which you put all completed transferred xlsx file. Folder B is a special one which is for your model to pick up csv file. So everytime, move one csv from A to B, use your PQ model file to read and load it. Then save as to C and clear the folder B at same time. After 64 times, all the csv files in A were moved to B one by one and cleared after transfered to xlsx and save as into C. Finally there only 64 xlsx in C.

(Also, you will need 2 support spreadsheet or excel to load the files name and path in folder A and changed the file name and path to folder C.

Benny_1857_1-1642303421871.png

Benny_1857_2-1642303496409.png

3. UI automation for Power Query automation. As in Excel, the refresh PQ is mannual, you could use UI automation to start it. Once the PQ completed according to the data size, you could use Image to recognize whether it completed or not to start next step.

4. Small tips, you could google how to remove the refresh link and set up column width

OK.  I think I finally got the PAD working correctly to generate my .csv files.

I click OK and it continues.  Next I get below.

I understand this.  It is trying to put it in my Documents folder and I already ran it once, thus producing the file before.
However, I would like it to be put into a specific folder. ???
I click Yes.

Then it looks like it goes to the bottom of the file list and gives:

I click Debug, VBA window opens and I see:

I changed a few things in code.  Hopefully doing it correctly. You had "formatID" defined but had "formattab" in code.  I changed code to formatID.

6th unnamed.png

The Balance sheet did format correctly.  However, it was the only sheet to work.

I have a "formatting Worksheet" for each of my nine properties.  I thought if I could get it to work for the first, it will work for the others.

Also, there is more things to add to macro.  I have 6 sheets per property.Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Income Statement vs Budget, Income Statement MTM , Statement of cash flows, and GLTB.
On the three Income Statement sheets, I need to insert 5 rows (7-11) and copy 5 rows (7-11) from the formatting sheets. (info on these added rows changes each month dependent on another workbook).
Complicating things further, the MTM I copy A7-A10 and then C7-M10 (drop off oldest month), then copy L7-L10 (old M7-M10) to M7 so newest month number can be put in.

To complicate even further, 4 of the properties the above works (7-11, etc), but 5 of the properties download differently. Instead of 7-11, I must insert, copy etc from 9-13.

Complex? Yes.  Incredible amount of time saving, though, once I can get it work.

Below is my VBA as it stands now:

Sub FormattingWorkbooks()
'
' FormattingWorkbooks Macro
' open each file (listed in Files tab by PAD), identify type of workbook, copy formatting from proper tab, save and close workbook
'

'
Sheets("Files").Select
'get last row to limit the loop run
Dim LR As Long
Range("A1").Select
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
LR = Selection.Row

'dim all variables before loop
Dim filepathandname As String 'the file path and name for the current file in the loop index
Dim formatID As String 'the text identified in the file name used to decide which formatting tab to use
Dim formattab As String 'the formatting tab from the macro workbook to be used to format the current file
Dim AWB As Workbook 'active workbook from filename
Dim i As Integer 'the index for the loop run
i = 1 'the loop will start on A1

'loop for each filename in column A of files (A1 to A & LR)
Do
Sheets("Files").Select
filepathandname = Range("A" & i).Value
Workbooks.Open Filename:=filepathandname
'get active workbook name for later window switch after copying cells from macro workbook
Set AWB = ActiveWorkbook

'get the Case variable from A2 of the opened file

formatID = Range("B2").Value
formatID = Trim(formatID) ' removes beginnning or ending spaces off the text
'select which formatting tab we are going to use based on the Case variable
Select Case formatID
Case "Balance Sheet"
formattab = "Balance Sheet"
Case "INCOME STATEMENT"
formattab = "Inc Stmnt"
Case "INCOME STATEMENT vs Budget"
formattab = "Inc Stmnt vs Budget"
Case "INCOME STATEMENT MTM"
formattab = "Inc Stmnt MTM"
Case "STATEMENT OF CASHFLOWS - IB"
formattab = "St Cash Flows"
Case "Account Number"
formattab = "GLTB"
Case Else
MsgBox ("Error - Format not found")
End Select

Sheets(formattab).Select
Cells.Select
Selection.Copy
Cells.Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs , FileFormat:=51
ActiveWindow.Close
i = i + 1 'increase i to get the next filename until we reach LR
Loop Until i > LR
End Sub

Thank you,

David

Sorry, I cannot get pics to upload.

first above is a Microsoft excel Error box:

Error - Format not found

Second is reference Microsoft sheet already exits.

3rd missing after "file list and gives"

MS VBA 

Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range

4th missing "open and I see"

Windows("Altoona Worksheet Template.xlsx").Activate
Sheets(formatID).Select  
Cells.Select
Selection.Copy

Ok, let’s set up a time later this week.  I sent you a PM and we can go through it on zoom. I was not able to read everything, but formatID was what you see and formattab was the resulting tab you get. 

select case [variable to iterate]
    Case [variable is]
    Result

End Select

----

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (4,917)