cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damonroy
Microsoft
Microsoft

Passing file from Power Automate Desktop to cloud flow through output variable

I have a file in Power Automate Desktop (jpeg from a screenshot) that I am saving to a temp file. I am setting an output variable to be the file, and then reading that file in a cloud flow.

However, in the cloud flow all I get is the file path, rather than the actual content. Is there any way to pass the file content with the output variable?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Just store the file within a locally synced OneDrive or Sharepoint library so you can access it through cloud flows.

Thanks fraenK! I was trying to avoid having the OneDrive sync client logged-in and running on the desktop, and the associated connection/access in the cloud flow, but that should work.

fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Alternatively you could upload the file using a browser, but that's much more complex

edgetrader
Regular Visitor

One issue I’ve encountered is that I save a file using power automate desktop, then grab it as attachment in a flow. But the file hasn’t synched yet, so I get an old file. Is there any way to force a re-synch? Or, as this post originally asked — return the file content and meta data to the flow as a variable…so that I can assure that I have the most recent version? 

I am having this same issue - were you able to find a solution?

Ashleypettit1
Frequent Visitor

I'm often passing the filename to the PAD desktop and then getting the file using "Get files". Often no file is retrieved because onedrive is still syncing. My current workaround is using a loop that retries the desktop flow until the file is located. This isn't perfect; I'm looking for a better way. 
Update -> I'm looking into one PA Online flow to save the file; then a 2nd file using the trigger "On File Created". 

Ashleypettit1
Frequent Visitor

Here's a solution. Might not be pretty but it works.  -> 

Ashleypettit1_0-1662687967300.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,337)