cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmheimendinger
Resolver III
Resolver III

Power Automate Desktop execute program and pass parameters question

I am trying to set up a desktop flow that I can call from a cloud flow.  What I want that desktop flow to do is pretty simple:

• Run a program
  • Pass the prograam a string parameter

I am not certain I am doing it correctly.

I use Windows Task Manager to run several tasks, all of which launch the same program but each task uses a different parameter string.  Those all work fine, but instead of ONLY running those tasks at fixed intervals, I also need to run them when a flow creates new data that those tasks deal with via a utility.  

In the task action, the value is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\<directory>\<programname>.exe"  and the arugment is

Item to be processed

The latter has no quote marks, single or double.

For the run application step

1. Should I include the "" marks around the patch and program name or omit them or use single '?
  2. Should the argumet string (parameter) be enclosded in " or ' or have none?

The desktop flow "seems" to run but I am unable to tell for sure.

Long time cloud flow developer but new to desktop.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lmheimendinger
Resolver III
Resolver III

Problem solved.  The path is set from browsing, so no ' or "".

The argument is just a string, no ' or "

When I executed the desktop flow from a cloud flow, I could see nothing on the server session.

However, when I manually run the desktop flow, I see the cmd window open and do exactly what I am expecting.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lmheimendinger
Resolver III
Resolver III

I have solved half of this problem by simply browsing to the program location (Duh ddn't know the folder icon would do this).  I then created a cloud flow and called the desktop flow from it.  It now runs for about a minute, which is what I expect, but I can find no evidence on the servr that it actually did run. I have simplified the parameter into a string with no spaces, but whether I enclose it in " or ' or neither, the results seem to be the same.

When I monitor the flow, that step really doesn't tell me much.  And I no longer see a command window open on the server.  Not a lot of documentation about run application action for desktop flows....

lmheimendinger
Resolver III
Resolver III

Problem solved.  The path is set from browsing, so no ' or "".

The argument is just a string, no ' or "

When I executed the desktop flow from a cloud flow, I could see nothing on the server session.

However, when I manually run the desktop flow, I see the cmd window open and do exactly what I am expecting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (1,500)