cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EasyAutomation

Power Automated Desktop With Microsoft Edge

Good morning, 

I am new to Power Automate, but loving the potential. My issue is that when I try to run Power Automate to open a new instance of Microsoft Edge, it will--but then I get the message "Failed to assume control of Microsoft Edge." 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on in the Edge Browser, changed the setting to not allow programs to run in the background as recommended, and etc. 

I am trying to access a website, login to that website, download a CSV file, and then use that CSV file to load data into another file. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

I have also tried to do the same with Google Chrome, and I get the same error, only "Failed to assume control of Google Chrome."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EasyAutomation

I have now found that it appears being set up in a "dual monitor" situation has an impact on how this works. When I ran in single monitor just on the computer alone, it is able to grab connection to the browser every time. I am not sure how to get around it otherwise, but that seems to have fixed the issue when I just run the computer with no external monitors. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

This is a very odd error to have; however, you can always use 'Wait for Window' and then 'Focus Window' and see if that helps.  If these don't help.  Something isn't connecting, and if you are just getting started, I would recommend an uninstall, reinstall, because it's not normal to have these issues.

If you don't want to uninstall, then the last option is to navigate through Chrome using Send Keys.  For example {Control}(l) *that's a lowercase L* will get you to the address bar.

Thank you for your quick reply!

I uninstalled Power Automate from my computer and also deleted the extensions for Microsoft Edge. I cleared the cache and cookies, then restarted my machine. 

Upon restart, I downloaded and installed Power Automate and added the extension back on for Microsoft Edge. 

I set up to launch Edge, then did "Record" for the rest. The first time I ran it, it worked great. The next time I ran it--I got the exact same error as before of "Failed to assume control of Microsoft Edge." The only thing I noticed different is that the first time I ran the automation, I had a copy of Edge open already (even though it launches a new browser). When I exited out of both to try it again--I got that error. 

This makes sense.  I, by habit, close all my browser windows before running a flow that uses that browser.  Beyond that, you could try "killing" all activity from that browser, same as going to Task Manager and Ending the Task.

The PAD action is "Terminate Process" and the chrome process is chrome.exe...I am not sure what edge is.  This will kill any browser window and background activity for that program and should happen as a first step before starting your flow.

EasyAutomation

Thank you for your continued help. After terminating any processes tied to Edge, and then launching, I am still getting the message "Failed to assume control of Microsoft Edge (Communication with browser failed. Try reloading extension)." I have tried the recorder, as well as using the actions pane, and I am getting the same results. When I check the extension in the browser, it says it is all good to go. I am not sure what my next step should be. Right now, all the further I can get it is to launch the browser--and then it errors out 90% of the time right away and says it can't assume control. I also tried this for Chrome--and got the same result. 

EasyAutomation

I have now found that it appears being set up in a "dual monitor" situation has an impact on how this works. When I ran in single monitor just on the computer alone, it is able to grab connection to the browser every time. I am not sure how to get around it otherwise, but that seems to have fixed the issue when I just run the computer with no external monitors. 

Just my 2 cents but....

My everyday browsing etc is done on Chrome.

All my automations are on Edge, no need for killing processes / windows etc.

Same.  I use Chrome and IE on the daily. Multiple windows has never been an issue with PAD. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,775)