cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TP13

Problem installing Power Automate Desktop

Hi,

I'm having some problems of installing Power Automate Desktop.

Installer always fails and I have been digging in to it, but haven't find working solution yet. In error log the issue seems to be the following:

"The installation failed. Service "UIFlowService" failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services"

I have tried instructions found from internet:

1) Added my own account to log on as a service and made sure that services listed here are present:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Service-UIFlowService-UIFlowService-faile...

2) From Services.msc I have tried to start the service manually without luck. I also tried to change services log on information to my own account or give it local system account rights. Not working.

I'm running Power automate on my personal computer with Win 10 Pro and admin privileges. Does someone have any suggestions what might be wrong here?

14 REPLIES 14
msheets
Microsoft
Microsoft

Any update here? Running into this same issue 3 weeks later.

Sarosh
Microsoft
Microsoft

The Power Automate Desktop installer puts the installation logs in %temp%\Power_Automate_Desktop_*. If you could share the file, it will give us something to go on.

Shalu
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @TP13 

Please follow the below instructions and let us know, if it helps in fixing the issue:

(i) Ensure the .net version is 4.8 Runtime framework. If not download and install https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
(ii) Complete all pending Windows updates, if any. 
(iii) Uninstall ‘Power Automate Desktop” from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program
(iv) Open File Explorer and navigate to %localappdata% >Microsoft and delete “Power Automate Desktop” folder.
(v) Also, navigate to %programdata% > Microsoft and delete “Power Automate Desktop” folder.
(vi) Download latest setup from PAD and reinstall (as admin if possible) 
(vii) If the same issue shows up, restart the system and reinstall using the same setup file. 
Note :- If a different setup is used after restarting the pc, the issue will continue. 

If the issue persists, check if the logs mentioned as vcredist64. (find using Ctrl+F)

(i) To navigate to logs: %programdata%\microsoft\power automate desktop\logs.
(ii) Then check the control panel. if this 64bit version of visual c++ redist exists. If yes, uninstall it manually and restart the pc. 
(iii) Launch the pad installer as admin and install again. 

Shalu_1-1614752750421.png

If the C++ approach does not fix the issue, then follow the below steps:

(i) Access the Registry Editor and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft
(ii) Check if Power Automate Desktop registry exists 
(iii) If it doesn't exist, it is a permission issue, you need to allow full control permissions to the Microsoft folder from the path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft 
Right-click on folder -> Permissions -> Full Control 
(iv) Create Power Automate Desktop Key in the same path 
(v) Now install PAD 
(vi) Creating a Registry key with Power Automate Desktop under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft and give full control permissions to the all users, fixes the issue. 

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards,

Shalini M

john-dund
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi TP13,

Can you try installing agian, and then going into the event viewer (Start menu > Event Viewer) and then go to Windows Logs > Applications, and then see if you can find an error corresponding to starting the UIFlowService, and give the error that is described in the general box?

Thanks,
John

second_timothy

I have the same problem. Using Win 10 pro. I'm trying to install with full local admin rights.

I was able to add "everyone" to the secpol.msc log in as a service, but it didn't make a difference. Before adding "everyone" I hade this in there:
NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES

NT SERVICE\UIFlowService

Any other suggestions?

DonV
Frequent Visitor

FWIW, uninstalling the Visual C++ package solved it for me.

Hi second_timothy, can you either paste or send me in a private message what's in your event viewer related to this failure, assuming you have one?

second_timothy

I read the removal of the visual c++ thing but I guess forgot to do it.

I removed it (I had same version as Shalu's screenshot), rebooted, and then the install worked perfectly.

Thanks!!

pat1202003

I too am unable to install PAD. I tried what Shalu listed, but it still doesn't install.

Here is what I get in my application Event Log:

UIFlowService
Exception caught during service startup:
System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): Access is denied
at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Service.Core.HttpProxy.ProxyServer.Start()
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Service.MicrosoftFlowRPAUnattendedService.InitProxyServerComponents(ILocalSessionsHandler localSessionHandler, IConfigurationManager configurationManager)
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Service.MicrosoftFlowRPAUnattendedService.OnStart(String[] args)

Also a Sysmon Process Create log if it will help:

Process Create:
RuleName: -
UtcTime: 2021-03-03 22:59:54.704
ProcessGuid: {d2df8052-14ea-6040-7012-000000006500}
ProcessId: 2676
Image: C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Automate Desktop\UIFlowService.exe
FileVersion: 2.5.80.21056
Description: UIFlowService
Product: Microsoft Flow Robotic Process Automation
Company: Microsoft Corporation
OriginalFileName: UIFlowService.exe
CommandLine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Automate Desktop\UIFlowService.exe"
CurrentDirectory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
User: NT SERVICE\UIFlowService
LogonGuid: {d2df8052-14ea-6040-b41b-e01200000000}
LogonId: 0x12E01BB4
TerminalSessionId: 0
IntegrityLevel: High
Hashes: MD5=2B85BE19FA2C22C27D592BF09B9D1625,SHA256=5C32D270EA4DC1DC4F2E76927DE3F7AEEC160F4353AA7A087C1267F5C3415990,IMPHASH=F34D5F2D4577ED6D9CEEC516C1F5A744
ParentProcessGuid: {d2df8052-b5b5-603e-0b00-000000006500}
ParentProcessId: 900
ParentImage: C:\Windows\System32\services.exe
ParentCommandLine: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

Shalu
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @pat1202003 

Please check In Task Manager -> Services tab on the target machine, is UIFlowService running? Related troubleshooting steps if it's not (may need admin privileges / IT assistance):

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Service-UIFlowService-UIFlowService-faile...

Also, request you to completely uninstall PAD before re-installing by following the instructions mentioned below:

• Uninstall ‘Power Automate Desktop” from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to %localappdata% >Microsoft and delete “Power Automate Desktop” folder.
  • Also, navigate to %programdata% > Microsoft and delete “Power Automate Desktop” folder.
  • Install the latest version of PAD: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2102613
  • Check the services. Restart the UIFlow services, if it is not running.

If the issue persists, please share the Event viewer logs, if you can find an error corresponding to starting the UIFlowService, and give the error that is described in the general box?

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards,

Shalini M

ramadi
Frequent Visitor

I have some issues with the installation, find below the errors from the log:

[2B14:2B40][2021-03-04T11:22:56]i000: Registry key not found. Key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Power Automate Desktop\Global'
[2B14:2B40][2021-03-04T11:22:56]e000: Error 0x800700a1: Failed to open registry key.
[2B14:2B40][2021-03-04T11:22:56]i000: RegistrySearchValue failed: ID '\LogShipper', HRESULT 0x800700a1
[2B14:2B40][2021-03-04T11:22:56]i000: Registry key not found. Key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Power Automate Desktop\Global'

Shalu
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello Everyone,

Please ensure that the pre-requisites are in place as per below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/ui-flows/setup

Regards,

Shalini M

john-dund
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @pat1202003, can you please try to open up a command window, and type the following: 

netsh http show urlacl url=https://+:4723/

and let me know the output?  

Hi @ramadi ,

The missing registry keys are expected, they do not cause the install to fail and you can safely ignore these errors.

The reason for your install failure can be found in the installing user's %temp% folder, in the file that matches this format: Power_Automate_Desktop_*_*_MicrosoftFlowRPA.log

In cases where a Windows service failing to start failed the install, details about why can be found in these two places:
    - event viewer > Windows Logs > Application

- %programdata%\Microsoft\Power Automate Desktop\Logs (you will need Admin privileges to copy the logs from this folder to another location on your machine in order to open the log files, this folder is write only).

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (98,267)