cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_Greer

Read field values in PDF Forms

A coworker has a task that involves taking pdf files (they are forms) received from various emails and entering them in a system.  I'm trying to make her life a bit easier by reading the PDFs into a single file (.txt or .xls is fine).

Extract text from PDF doesn't read the values entered into the form fields, even when those fields are simple text values.  Is there a way I can convert or flatten these files to make them readable?  Data is sensitive, so I'd prefer not to upload to cloud services - I'd like to do the conversion on our desktop.

I've done a lot of searching here and on google, but I keep getting a lot of results about Microsoft Forms instead of PDF forms.  🙄 

Don't work much with PDF forms, so a nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here is another one:  Get details of a UI element in window.

If the PDF is still in form mode, you should be able to extract the "Own Text" attribute of the text field.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

What if you Print the form to PDF, save it as a different file?  That PDF should still be readable, and it should be flattened.

J_Greer

Good thought! But unfortunately, it didn't work.  I tested using Microsoft Print to PDF and the files that are created still "hide" the field text from the PDF text reader.  

Can you send me a blank form to test?

Oh.  What about, in Adobe...File -> Export To -> Plain Text

Here is another one:  Get details of a UI element in window.

If the PDF is still in form mode, you should be able to extract the "Own Text" attribute of the text field.

Best of luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,210)