Did you mean: 
luisvalencia
Regular Visitor

Recorded actions dont work

I recorded some desktop actions:

1. Open new tab (chrome)

2. Go to URL

3. Type something in a search textbox

When I reproduce it, I get the error below immediately.

Any idea?

Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Robin.SDK.ActionException: Click failed (failed to get window) ---> Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.Exceptions.WindowNotFoundException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.Exceptions.WindowNotFoundException' was thrown.
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.UIAutomationActionsDispatcher.FindWindow(Variant windowSelector, Guid windowId)
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.UIAutomationActionsDispatcher.ClickElementInWindow(Variant windowSelector, Variant controlSelector, Variant offsetX, Variant offsetY, Guid windowId, Int32 clickType, Int32 elementRectangleSubsector, Int32 automationImpl)
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.ClickElementInWindow.Execute(ActionContext context)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.UIAutomation.Actions.ClickElementInWindow.Execute(ActionContext context)
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Robin.Engine.ActionRunner.RunAction(String action, Dictionary`2 inputArguments, Dictionary`2 outputArguments, IActionStatement statement)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @luisvalencia 

Have you ever tried Internet Explorer or built-in Automation Browser to access to web sites?

As far as I know, these browsers do not need extension to be installed to automate them.

You can find more information about browsers in document below:

Using browsers and managing extensions - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

Thank you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Henrik_M
Super User
Super User

Don't use the recorders. They are garbage.

shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @luisvalencia 

Please use "Web recorder" instead of "Desktop recorder".

Also please use actions under "Web automation" category instead of actions under "UI automation" category.

Thank you.

I cant, basically the extensions have to go through a very long approval process in my company.

shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @luisvalencia 

Oh, I see.

In your error message, it says "failed to get window" and "WindowNotFoundException". I suppose the name of your web browser window was changed after PAD captured UI elements while in the desktop recorder session.

Close all web browser tabs and windows, and then retry the desktop recorder session again.

Thank you.

MichaelAnnis
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Use Send Keys {Control}(l) 'that's a lowercase L, it will take you to the address bar with everything highlighted.

Hello, @luisvalencia
Please note that Web automation (Actions and thus the recorder) require the installation of the appropriate extension on the browser of your choice.

ok, but if I use the desktop recorder to open the browser and type something, isnt it the same result? or its just not supported? 

JamesP_MSFT
Microsoft
Microsoft

Desktop recorder is used for desktop applications. 
Web recorder is used for browser (web pages) automation.

shindomo
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @luisvalencia 

Have you ever tried Internet Explorer or built-in Automation Browser to access to web sites?

As far as I know, these browsers do not need extension to be installed to automate them.

You can find more information about browsers in document below:

Using browsers and managing extensions - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,615)