Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiredup
Helper I
Helper I

Selecting a new tab

Dear RPA--

I know PA very well and am now exploring PA Desktop.  

I'm using PA Desktop to click through web pages.  While clicking through, a new tab is opened for which I need to continue making selections; HOWEVER, I can't seem to select the newly created tab to continue.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

5 REPLIES 5
John_A
Microsoft
Microsoft

If you are using web automation action consider using a Launch Edge/Chrome...or whatever the browser that you are working on and then within the properties of the action, select to attach to a running instance either by title or URL. 

Hope this helps. 

Ajaya
Frequent Visitor

not understanding proper, for proper understand please attach screenshots...

@Ajaya, above posts are 1 year old, so not sure you would get an appropriate response.

If you are having the same issue then please share more details, either here or in a fresh new thread. Thanks.

Captivebird
Frequent Visitor

I encounter this same issue.
I open three tabs, however, I can't navigate to the tab and back the tab we want.
The single tab can't be detected by the "UI element picker"
Please refer to the following screen shot for more details.
Can someone help me out on this?

Appreciate that very much!

Captivebird_0-1669174320946.png

momlo
Helper V
Helper V

My approach to working with that is to always manage/open them with "open new tab" action as this creates new browser variable that I can use directly.

Example - I have a main page, on that page I have a 3 buttons that open 3 tabs:

1. Open main %Browser% and navigate to URL1

2. Retrieve URLs behind those 3 buttons*

3. Use action to open new tab and create %Tab1%, %Tab2%, %Tab3% variables.

4. Use web automation actions to do whatever logic I need to do with all of the 4 browses/tabs

This approach gives me full control over thatbs

* If possible, I simply create those URLs as variables in code, for example if they have pattern and I have other variables that allow me to create them. This helps to improve performance if i need to open 100s of tabs for specific work items.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,656)