Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Pa
Resolver II
Resolver II

Status never updates/failes when flow stops/freeze

Hi Power Community

I have a rather odd problem, that i don't know how to troubleshoot.

When running longer processes (attended), sometimes the process stops (can be anywhere in the flow), after about an hour or more.

This doesn't really matter that much, as i can just restart it. The issue is that the status is never updates, in the Monitor view the process is still seen as "running". This status will remain for hours (not tested further that 13h) - forcing me to cancel the run, and thus losing the log as well. This makes it really hard to troubleshoot if it's caused by something in the process or some other event.

I just don't understand why it doesn't fail.

This can happen to several different processes. I've checked for "Wait for.."-actions, and tried disabling them, where they were present, but with no different outcome.

I've suspected a specific application, which I suspect can have a memory leak, but it seems to happen, even when i kill and restart the application with short intervals.

I've tried switching between Machine-connection and Gateway, but with no difference.

I've tried remaking the triggers, no difference. Tried re-installing PAD, no difference. Tried about everything i could think of.

Additionally, one process has been observed to for over 2h and completing without stopping, but also stopping without failing after just about an hour..

Next step is buying the unattended license (which I'm going to anyway), but I fear that the issue is somewhere else and wont be resolved by that.

Any help appreciated. TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Pa
Resolver II
Resolver II

It appears that the issue was indeed Excel.

When using the Read from Excel worksheet and following with a Close Excel WITHOUT a Wait, the process would at times freeze without any errors. I suspect the issue happens if the Close Excel-action is executed, before the Read from Excel worksheet has finished.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
azimzicar
Helper II
Helper II

I've noticed some issues with the monitor element, I guess it may still be buggy. However, I did read somewhere that you have to be a certain role in the environment in order to view all data and statuses, maybe there is something to look into there.

The main thing I wanted to suggest is to get a trial and test it using the unattended mode befor eyou spend any money, that will allow you to validate if it will behave differently or not.

Hi Azimzicar

Thanks for the input. I don't think it is related to my environment role, as the issue has just started, and has never been an issue before.

I'm actually starting to suspect that Microsoft Excel is the culprit, since all the flows that are subject to the random stops are using Excel to a larger extend and sometimes with multiple files open at a time and files being open for long periods. I will try to implement a shutdown of the Excel process with short intervals, to ensure that it doesn't hold up the status updating.

Best regards,

Daniel

Daniel_Pa
Resolver II
Resolver II

It appears that the issue was indeed Excel.

When using the Read from Excel worksheet and following with a Close Excel WITHOUT a Wait, the process would at times freeze without any errors. I suspect the issue happens if the Close Excel-action is executed, before the Read from Excel worksheet has finished.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,873)