cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charles_ross_oh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Stepping though child flows with "Run next action"

I am using a master PAD flow that calls child flows. This is nice but having broken things into modules, debugging got harder.

I pass variable data between flows so for realistic debugging I need to step through the workflow in a top down fashion starting in the master flow.  BUT when debugging, the thread of "Run next action" execution stays within the top level master flow.

It appears that there is no way to step through actions in the child flows where all the detailed action takes place. 

When using "Run next action" Is there a way to step "down" from my master flow into the actions in the child flows? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Henrik_M
Super User
Super User

Right now there is not any way to debug child desktop flows. Only half-solution is to put Display message action in... 🤷‍♂️

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
yoko2020
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@charles_ross_oh 

Are you referring to "Run desktop flow" or "Run subflow"  ?

Henrik_M
Super User
Super User

Right now there is not any way to debug child desktop flows. Only half-solution is to put Display message action in... 🤷‍♂️

Run Desktop flow. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

@chilismaug 

Like @Henrik_M said, we can not debug that directly from the main flow who call it.

If you want debug child flow/module/library you have to debug it directly inside that flow.

It shouldn't that hard because it contain input parameter. (i don't know how you design that, for me i always call that a library where multiple main flow can access it by defining the input parameter and output parameter)

MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

Hey @charles_ross_oh ,

You can pass variable through Set Environment Variable and Get Environment Variable.  This should allow you to maintain the variables, run one flow at a time, and test the flows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,432)