cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pasta40

Thousands separator is changed from dot to comma

Hi there,

I am scraping revenue data from a website that comes in different formats. The problem is that if I have a number like 200.000 (dot) PAD changes it to 200,000 (comma). If that number is than written to my list I get 200.

For numbers over 1 million I don't have that problem, so I can't just multiply by 1000.

Even if I only set a variable as 200.000, PAD directly shows it as 200,000 in the overview (see attached picture: detail view shows 200.000, overview shows 200,000). 

image.png

I have already checked my system language but it is set to German and uses a dot as the thousands separator.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

16 REPLIES 16
VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Any other situation where I can re-create this scenario?

For me it's showing up the same.

VJR_0-1668421280661.png

Pasta40

That's very interesting, thanks for checking this!

No, this is exactly the scenario I am talking about - not knowing the source problem I don't know how to recreate it any other way. I have the hypothesis that it's the language/region settings. I will set my system language to English and try again. Will reply with the result!

Thanks again

Okay, so I set my language to english (US) and now I also see the 200.000 instead of the 200,000.

However, when I write this value into an excel file, I still get 200.

Here is the code for a basic test of that:

Excel.LaunchExcel.LaunchUnderExistingProcess Visible: True Instance=> ExcelInstance
SET NewVar TO 200.000
SET NewVar2 TO $'''200.000.000'''
Excel.WriteToExcel.WriteCell Instance: ExcelInstance Value: NewVar Column: $'''A''' Row: 1
Excel.WriteToExcel.WriteCell Instance: ExcelInstance Value: NewVar2 Column: $'''A''' Row: 2

You can see that it correctly inserts the 2.000.000 but that we get 200 for the 200.000

Any ideas?

Gidi
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

seems that you have one variable type ‚text‘ and the other ‚number‘.

Please try to set  to "200.00" for using as text and %200.00% as number.  

VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

SET NewVar TO 200.000

One has quotes around it and the other one doesn't so they are going to be treated as text and number respectively.

Even if I manually paste 200.000 into Excel it shows up as 200. This has been an Excel formatting "issue" since many years :). This gets corrected when we change the decimal number format of the cell to 3 digits after the data is written to the cell.

Thank you for your help.

@VJR : If I change the decimal format to 3 digits I only get a two hundred with three zeros after the comma. The real value however is two hundred thousand. The quotes are added automatically by PAD, I have just entered the raw numbers. This shows me that PAD does somehow automatically puts these numbers in different brackets, which is probably the source of the problem.

@Gidi : I can convert the text to number, it becomes 200000 and works with excel! The problem is that it only works for single variables in the same format. As soon as the data is in a list with other data it doesnt work because of the different formats (e.g. of 2.000.000 and 200.000.)

Pasta40_0-1668503576351.png

So the core problem remains: The European thousands separator "." is recognized as a decimal separator for numbers under a million. So if I import the number 200.000 (two hundred thousand), PA makes it 200,000 (two hundred) BEFORE it imports it into Excel. However, it recognizes 2.000.000 as 2.000.000 and 2 as 2. Therefore the scraping data is unusable - it is impossible to know if 200 means 200 or 200.000.

I wish there was some setting to change the thousands separator recognition in PAD..

VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Did you also check the decimal/thousand separator settings of Excel?

It is in the Advanced section of the Options menu.

Pasta40

Thanks for the idea!
Yes, I've even tried to manually set them to "," for decimal values and "." for thousands. Unfortunately it didn't help. I think the problem is that PAD for some reason changes 200.000 to 200,000 so the error occurs before Excel.

Pasta40_0-1668518737246.png

Gidi
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How did you try to convert list? You would need to do it entry by entry as far as I know. 

VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Hi @Pasta40 

Since there are lots of multiple posts with different scenarios can you summarise the issues so that it gives a single view and you can get help from anyone facing with a similar situation.

Something like this....This is just an example. Add your own instances.

Scenario What is happening? What should happen? Any comments?
When extracted from web into a PAD datatable variable Shows 200,000 Should show 200.000 Works fine when xxx
When PAD datatable variable is written onto Excel Shows 200 Should show 200,000  

When extracted from web into a PAD datatable variable <more than million example here>    
When PAD datatable variable is written onto Excel      

Pasta40

Hi VJR,

I used your idea but changed it to my understanding of the situation, hope that helps!

Pasta40_0-1668593447169.png

Here is the code to recreate the problem:

Excel.LaunchExcel.LaunchUnderExistingProcess Visible: True Instance=> ExcelInstance
Variables.CreateNewList List=> List
SET NewVar TO 200.000
Excel.WriteToExcel.WriteCell Instance: ExcelInstance Value: NewVar Column: $'''A''' Row: 1
Excel.WriteToExcel.WriteCell Instance: ExcelInstance Value: NewVar2 Column: $'''A''' Row: 2

What worked: 

If I convert the single variable "200,000" from text to number it gave the correct number to excel (200000).

Pasta40_1-1668593778798.png

However, in the real scenario I dont have a clean single variable but a table of values including text values such as "not available" and numerical values such as "200" or "2.000.000".

I was hoping to somehow prevent PAD from changing 200.000 to 200,000 without needing a larger workaround.

Hope the situation is clearer now!

VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Ok, I could not once again create the issue with the variable (the second in the table screenshot).

However, when I ran your code it pasted 200. (No. 1)

And then when I manually went into Format cells and formatted it to 3 decimal places it changed to 200.000 (No. 2)

Does this work for you in all scenarios? If so, once all values are written to Excel then via a vbscript you can change the formatting of an entire column to 3 decimal places at once.

I meant decimal here, but also see the 1000 separator box below.

Edit: For me it is showing comma as the 1000 separator but it is driven from the Excel options -> Advanced. So make changes there and come back here to see any changes.

VJR_0-1668596535934.png

Pasta40

If I understand correctly you propose to format excel to 3 decimal places. In your example it looks like the 200.000 still has a value of "two hundred", because the decimal separator is ".". The real value however was "two hundred thousand" and that's what I need inside the excel.

I don't care if it is a dot or a comma but I need the values to be consistent so i know 200 = 200 and 200000 = 200000.

Thanks for your efforts in helping me with this!

Edit: I changed the thousands separator to "," and the decimal separator to "." and still have the same problem. I think the issue is that PAD pastes "two hundred" not "two hundred thousand" - it seems that the issue is not within excel.

Maybe to clarify the prolem: This is how the list looks that I end up with in excel:

Pasta40_0-1668598758048.png

VJR
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

What I was referring to is - even though PAD is giving problems but after pasting it into excel and after changing the Formatting options if it is giving the right values we can apply the same easily with the help of a vbscript.

So, ones you have written to Excel try playing around with the decimal places and the separator options and if it works I can share a vbscript of the corresponding fix.

Pasta40

Okay I understand.

I see as a problem that I don't know if a value was originally 200 or 200000. Therefore formatting all numbers into a visually correct format would not improve the accuracy of the data. (Some data would be displayed as 200000 even though it originally only was 200).

Gidi
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Well, if I understand your problem correctly than you first need to find out, if your datatable contains text or numbers to react on it.

Also it seems you have a mix of decimal separator to handle.

What about the following Workaround:

Variables.CreateNewList List=> List
SET NewVar TO 200.000
Variables.AddItemToList Item: NewVar List: List
Variables.AddItemToList Item: NewVar2 List: List
Variables.CreateNewList List=> List2
LOOP FOREACH CurrentItem IN List
    SET isnumber TO True
    Text.ToNumber Text: CurrentItem Number=> TextAsNumber
    ON ERROR
        SET isnumber TO False
    END
    IF isnumber = True THEN
        Variables.AddItemToList Item: TextAsNumber List: List2
    ELSE
        Variables.AddItemToList Item: CurrentItem List: List2
    END
END
Excel.WriteToExcel.WriteCell Instance: ExcelInstance Value: List2 Column: $'''B''' Row: 1

Helpful resources

Announcements

Win free tickets to the Power Platform Conference | Summer of Solutions

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**

Celebrating the June Super User of the Month: Markus Franz

Markus Franz is a phenomenal contributor to the Power Apps Community. Super Users like Markus inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation.    The Why: "I do this to help others achieve what they are trying to do. As a total beginner back then without IT background I know how overwhelming things can be, so I decided to jump in and help others. I also do this to keep progressing and learning myself." Thank you, Markus Franz, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community! 🎉  Keep up the fantastic work! 👏👏 Markus Franz | LinkedIn  Power Apps: mmbr1606  

Copilot Cookbook Challenge | Week 1 Results | Win Tickets to the Power Platform Conference

We are excited to announce the "The Copilot Cookbook Community Challenge is a great way to showcase your creativity and connect with others. Plus, you could win tickets to the Power Platform Community Conference in Las Vegas in September 2024 as an amazing bonus.   Two ways to enter: 1. Copilot Studio Cookbook Gallery:  https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Challenge 2. Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery: https://aka.ms/PA_Copilot_Cookbook_Challenge   There will be 5 chances to qualify for the final drawing: Early Bird Entries: March 1 - June 2Week 1: June 3 - June 9Week 2: June 10 - June 16Week 3: June 17 - June 23Week 4: June 24 - June 30     At the end of each week, we will draw 5 random names from every user who has posted a qualifying Copilot Studio template, sample or demo in the Copilot Studio Cookbook or a qualifying Power Apps Copilot sample or demo in the Power Apps Copilot Cookbook. Users who are not drawn in a given week will be added to the pool for the next week. Users can qualify more than once, but no more than once per week. Four winners will be drawn at random from the total qualifying entrants. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random. Prizes:  One Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value, does not include travel, lodging, or any other expenses) Winners are also eligible to do a 10-minute presentation of their demo or solution in a community solutions showcase at the event. To qualify for the drawing, templates, samples or demos must be related to Copilot Studio or a Copilot feature of Power Apps, Power Automate, or Power Pages, and must demonstrate or solve a complete unique and useful business or technical problem. Power Automate and Power Pagers posts should be added to the Power Apps Cookbook. Final determination of qualifying entries is at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Weekly updates and the Final random winners will be posted in the News & Announcements section in the communities on July 29th, 2024. Did you submit entries early?  Early Bird Entries March 1 - June 2:  If you posted something in the "early bird" time frame complete this form: https://aka.ms/Copilot_Challenge_EarlyBirds if you would like to be entered in the challenge.   Week 1 Results:  Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Copilot Cookbook Gallery:Power Apps Cookbook Gallery:1.  @Mathieu_Paris 1.   @SpongYe 2.  @Dhanush 2.   @Deenuji 3.  n/a3.   @Nived_Nambiar  4.  n/a4.   @ManishSolanki 5.  n/a5.    n/a

Your Moment to Shine: 2024 PPCC’s Got Power Awards Show

For the third year, we invite you, our talented community members, to participate in the grand 2024 Power Platform Community Conference's Got Power Awards. This event is your opportunity to showcase solutions that make a significant business impact, highlight extensive use of Power Platform products, demonstrate good governance, or tell an inspirational story. Share your success stories, inspire your peers, and show off some hidden talents.  This is your time to shine and bring your creations into the spotlight!  Make your mark, inspire others and leave a lasting impression. Sign up today for a chance to showcase your solution and win the coveted 2024 PPCC’s Got Power Award. This year we have three categories for you to participate in: Technical Solution Demo, Storytelling, and Hidden Talent.      The Technical solution demo category showcases your applications, automated workflows, copilot agentic experiences, web pages, AI capabilities, dashboards, and/or more. We want to see your most impactful Power Platform solutions!  The Storytelling category is where you can share your inspiring story, and the Hidden Talent category is where your talents (such as singing, dancing, jump roping, etc.) can shine! Submission Details:  Fill out the submission form https://aka.ms/PPCCGotPowerSignup by July 12th with details and a 2–5-minute video showcasing your Solution impact. (Please let us know you're coming to PPCC, too!)After review by a panel of Microsoft judges, the top storytellers will be invited to present a virtual demo presentation to the judges during early August. You’ll be notified soon after if you have been selected as a finalist to share your story live at PPCC’s Got Power!  The live show will feature the solution demos and storytelling talents of the top contestants, winner announcements, and the opportunity to network with your community.  It's not just a showcase for technical talent and storytelling showmanship, show it's a golden opportunity to make connections and celebrate our Community together! Let's make this a memorable event! See you there!   Mark your calendars! Date and Time: Thursday, Sept 19th Location: PPCC24 at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 

Tuesday Tip | Accepting Solutions

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   To enhance our collaborative environment, it's important to acknowledge when your question has been answered satisfactorily. Here's a quick guide on how to accept a solution to your questions: Find the Helpful Reply: Navigate to the reply that has effectively answered your question.Accept as Solution: Look for the "Accept as Solution" button or link, usually located at the bottom of the reply.Confirm Your Selection: Clicking this button may prompt you for confirmation. Go ahead and confirm that this is indeed the solution.Acknowledgment: Once accepted, the reply will be highlighted, and the original post will be marked as "Solved". This helps other community members find the same solution quickly. By marking a reply as an accepted solution, you not only thank the person who helped you but also make it easier for others with similar questions to find answers. Let's continue to support each other by recognizing helpful contributions. 

Reminder: To register for the Community Ambassador Call on June 13th

Calling all Super Users & User Group Leaders   Reminder: To register for the Community Ambassador Call on June 13th—for an exclusive event for User Group Leaders and Super Users! This month is packed with exciting updates and activities within our community.   What's Happening: Community Updates: We'll share the latest developments and what's new in our vibrant community.Special Guest Speaker: Get ready for an insightful talk and live demo of Microsoft Copilot Studio templates by our special guest.Regular Updates: Stay informed with our routine updates for User Groups and Super Users.Community Insights: We'll provide general information about ongoing and upcoming community initiatives. Don't Miss Out: Register Now: Choose the session that fits your schedule best.Check your private messages or Super User Forum for registration links. We're excited to connect with you and continue building a stronger community together.   See you at the call!  

Users online (4,724)