cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geezer
Helper I
Helper I

Trouble getting PAD to accurately select UI for Square Desktop screens and QuickBooks Desktop screens

Trying to write a PAD Flow to load Square transactions into QuickBooks Desktop.  Had pretty good luck reading Orders from a web site and loading into Excel, so I thought I'd try something really useful. Major bomb.  "Red Boxes" during Desktop Recorder fail to deliver the proper UI element in the Square screen, and fail to show up altogether in the QuickBooks screens.

Has anybody tried this before, any success stories?

5 REPLIES 5
azimzicar
Helper II
Helper II

Hi

Not got any experience with these applications specificlaly, however, we can try to narrow down to the root problem hopefully.

Do you have a screenshot of what you are trying to get and what the result looks like when you trying to 'spy' the UI element?

Geezer
Helper I
Helper I

I'm not sure what data you're looking for in the screen shot. The "red box" does not highlight a UI in the Dialog box / sub-window I'm navigating, and when it does, the box is off by a half line height or more, from the UI I'm trying to select. On other occasions, the red box is actually selecting a UI from a window beneath the one in focus.

I'm reasonably certain this is either (a) a problem with Square, which has been well-documented to be sub-par software, or (b) user error.

MichaelAnnis
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I have used Quickbooks Desktop for years.  All of it can be managed from the keyboard.  Use Press Key {Alt} and the Send Keys to navigate the menus.  Best of luck!

Geezer
Helper I
Helper I

Good to know! (Off-topic) Are you feeling any pressure to migrate to the Online version? My bookkeeper was out recently and I really wished we had migrated.

Geezer
Helper I
Helper I

So, I have discovered that the PAD software works better when a new Edge instance is opened, than trying to recognize UI's from an existing instance & tab. However, with Square being a payment processor, navigating child windows seems to be a significant issue.  Hence,

The question now at hand is, how can I get a link which a UI intends to use in opening a child window, and let PAD open that window for manipulation of the UI's within the child window?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,720)