cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Threepointz
Frequent Visitor

Unable to install Power Automate Desktop updates

My work environment is pretty locked down.  Only IT users have admin rights on PCs.  We had IT install Power Automate Desktop so we could use it to automate software UAT, but the product has frequent updates that we are unable to install.  Is there a setting or policy change that would permit Power Automate Desktop to run updates without being an administrator?  Given the frequency of update notices, it's not realistic to expect our IT to take care of this, but if there is a limited adjustment that would allow the updates to run without admin approval the product might be useful to us.

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelAnnis
Super User
Super User

You don't really need every update to keep PAD running smoothly.  I am still running on 2.8 due to fear of an upgrade interfering with my bot processes; however, to Microsoft's credit, my boss is running 2.15 and he just assumed control of all my bots with no problems.  So, if you don't find the solution you are looking for, maybe the other solution is to ignore updates altogether, pay attention to releases, and only update when you feel a desire to update, such as when a new feature comes out that you really think you can use.

Best of luck!

VJR
Super User
Super User

1. Yes IT teams do have control over whether or not to auto install updates. Not sure how it is at your place.

2. When you mention "but the product has frequent updates that we are unable to install."

What do you exactly mean by unable to install? Does the PAD not ask to install updates? Or does it start and then does not complete showing a message?

3. What happens when you "Check for Updates" from the main window of the Settings?

VJR_0-1646485332614.png

4. Do you have the "Show update notifications" turned on in the above screen?

Threepointz
Frequent Visitor

When updates are installing, we need to supply an Administrator ID and password.

In that case the control is in your IT's hands to allow/not allow the updates without a password.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,137)