Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPCloudguy
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to see flow errors for failed flows in the history log

Hi,

I'm still having problems when flows fail the history log doesn't show the complete list of actions so I'm unable to see where the flow is failing for an un-attended flow.

Along with viewing the history logs through the browser, I've tried using the Power BI report from the COE but that still doesn't show all actions.

Has anyone else had issues viewing errors and found how to resolve it?

3 REPLIES 3
fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm investigating the same issue right now.

So far, I could only find out, that the run history seems to be limited to 9999 entries/actions.

It is stored as a JSON file attached to a "flowsession" under "additionalcontext".

https://{ENVIRONMENT-URL}/api/data/v9.2/flowsessions({flowsessionid})/additionalcontext/$value

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/web-api/flowsession?view=dynamics-c...

https://poszytek.eu/en/microsoft-en/office-365-en/rpa-en/get-power-automate-desktop-runs-details/

If this is a limit we can't change, then disabling certain actions for debugging purpose might be a workaround to keep the history under 9999 entries.

Rkv_
Resolver II
Resolver II

@SPCloudguy 

1. Use on block error in the the desktop flow under main and keep all actions within the block.
    Rkv__1-1641558357190.png

2. Create a Subflow getlasterror and add 2 actions Get last Error and Set variable (FailureMessage in the below screenshot must be an output variable)something like below.
    Rkv__0-1641558330215.png
  3. Configure the Onblock error to run the subflow getlasterror and go to end of the block.
    Rkv__2-1641558470176.png
  4. That's it. if your desktop flow fails then it will return the detailed error message to cloud flow.

I hope you will like this approach.
SPCloudguy
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @fraenK ,

Thank you, whilst it doesn't solve the problem, knowing the cause goes a long way - I initially thought it was an issue with the browser timing out loading the history log, also pleasing to know its not an issue with our tenant/environments.

1000 entries is not a lot though, I've run into this where a flow is processing a report of 600 users carrying out a few actions per user. We have plans for far larger flows, so this is a concern if we're not going to be able to see a full history list.

@Rkv_ , An on error block doesn't help in this instance. I can already see the final error message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,966)