cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BG_Pig
Regular Visitor

Unattended flow screen resolution

Hi All

I'm running an unattended Power Automate Desktop flow on an Azure VM running windows 10

My issue is that the unattended flow seems to run at a low resolution (maybe 768 x 1024) which means a number of UI elements are not visible, causing the flow to fail. The flow runs successfully in attended mode at 1920 x 1080.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to force the unattended flow to run at a higher resolution?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
matow
Microsoft
Microsoft

@BG_PigThere's a "Set screen resolution" action in Power Automate Desktop that should help with this. 

BG_Pig
Regular Visitor

Hi @matow thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that I had unsuccessfully tried running 'Set screen resolution'. It seems that Azure VMs have a limitation that the screen resolution is set on login and you can't change it once you've logged in. 

@BG_Pig Ah, gotcha. Looks like it might be possible to set the VMs to default to a certain resolution using Powershell, if this isn't out of date: 

How to change the VM default screen resolution? (microsoft.com)

Reaching out to check for other recommendations. 

yoko2020
Frequent Visitor

Maximum screen resolution in AWS/Azure is 1280x1024.

You can change it using powershell.

rofi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @matow! I'm running PAD on a laptop with external screen attached and can't set the resolution above the default 1024 x 768 even with "Set screen resolution" action for unattended processes.

Thanks for help

@rofi Looking into this. Does the action "Set screen resolution" fail with an error, or simply not set? 

rofi
Frequent Visitor

@matow There's no error, it just doesn't set it. I also tried the registry trick above with no success.

crelke
Frequent Visitor

@matow , I tried using the Set Resolution action too and it's not working. Is this a known issue? Is there a best practice to follow around handling different resolutions between your development machine and the VM that the unattended bot will be running on?

@crelke Checking on more specific recommendations - in general would recommend testing with the same desktop resolution and/or web browser window size as the VM. Are you encountering similar issues with scrolling/element visibility with unattended?

JPCdk
Regular Visitor

Hi
We encounter same issue we have a application that cant be done becource the screen size is to low and many objects it not visible on it.
I have tryed alot of difrent ways to fix this and nothing helps. The set Screen Resolution is not working becource it cant set it when it does not have the size available.
My theory is becource it connects with RDP with the size setting 1024x768 it will be stuck here.
Take a look at the part of the log below

{"eventDataSchemaVersion":"1.0","schemaVersion":"1.0","agentClientId":"7Jx/Y9e+D7jCvHIYBu5komXLj6+Zr/Og","correlationId":"952f13df-0848-4bd8-a8db-a4d8da583ede","clientSessionId":"","clientRequestId":"","component":"UIFlowService","eventType":"NotSpecified","traceLevel":"Warning","operationName":"NamedPipeServer.ListenAsync","eventTimestamp":"2021-02-25T07:15:19.0798765Z","durationInMilliseconds":"-1","exception":"System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.\r\n   at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Common.RpcOverNamedPipes.NamedPipeBase.<ExecuteWithTimeoutAsync>d__35.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Common.RpcOverNamedPipes.NamedPipeServer.<ConnectPipeAsync>d__3.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Common.RpcOverNamedPipes.NamedPipeBase.<ConnectAsync>d__41.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Common.RpcOverNamedPipes.NamedPipeBase.<EnforceInitializationAsync>d__42.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)\r\n   at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Common.RpcOverNamedPipes.NamedPipeBase.<ListenAsync>d__44.MoveNext()","message":"Failure while reading from Named Pipe 'NativeHost_447e7ad7-becf-4b28-ac3a-a24e1825a6d1' (isServerEnd 'True')","eventData":{"osInfo":{"name":"Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0","version":"Microsoft Windows 6.2.9200","architecture":"Win32NT"},"executionInfo":{"sessionId":0,"processName":"UIFlowService","threadId":4,"contextId":0},"machineInfo":{"screenResolution":"1024x768","processorCount":"4","netVersion":"4.0.30319.42000","windowsProductName":"Windows Server 2019 Standard"},"httpStatusCode":0,"agentVersion":"2.4.63.21036"},"roleInfo":{}}

The Gateway and Power Automate Desktop is up to date.

I have tryed on a non virtual Windows 10 PC this encouter same issue aswell.

Hope you can fix this maby with the option to set the Screen Resolution on the Gateway instead so it will connect with that on the RDP

drake
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is an update available for this?  

RPA-FRAY
Advocate I
Advocate I

The very short answer is that this can't be done. There are now some improvement requests / idea submissions for this. We need to be able to indicate the required resolution BEFORE the connection to the Gateway is made.

So please vote for the idea here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Option-to-set-required-resolution-for-unatt...

Best regards,

Michael Fray

yoko2020
Frequent Visitor

This is cloud vm machine limitation.

You will need to make use of a Windows Accelerated Computing instance type that have access to GPUs (Nvidia/Radeon) as this resolution is limited by the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which is standard on most instance types.

RPA-FRAY
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi Yoko2020.

It is Indeed. And that is why "we" need MS to give us an option to set required resolution before the RDP-session 🙂

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (62,539)