cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HellitonWoo
Regular Visitor

Use keyboard keys as is, not just typing

Hi fellows,

I'm trying to find a way the navigate between buttons and blanks.

It is rather hard to do so when there are no keys to use, such as:

• Left, right, up, down
  • Tab, Page-up, Page-down

And there's no explanation of "Send text as hardware keys", what does that mean?

Thanks!

Helliton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adijain
Microsoft
Microsoft

@HellitonWoo The "Send Keys" Action sends keystrokes to the application that is currently active. It can either be sent in the background as a software input or can be mimicked like from a keyboard when sent as hardware keys. To simulate key-presses inside a Send Keys Action, use the following notation: {KeyCode}. where KeyCode is the capital form of the letter itself for letters A-Z. OemSemicolon for ';', Oemplus for '+', Oemcomma for ',', OemMinus for '-', OemPeriod for '.', OemQuestion for '?', Oemtilde for '~', OemOpenBrackets for '[', OemPipe for '|', etc. 

In your case you can use:

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
FUS
Helper III
Helper III

I have a similar challenge.

In a window I use the right control button to navigate to next screen... and when I record my actions I get "{RControlKey}()".
However, when I replay it that part is "skipped".

In real life I might enter "Test1" then use the Right Control key and then type "Test2"
But when I run the line "Test1{RControlKey}()Test2"... the result is that on the first page it says "Test1Test2".

adijain
Microsoft
Microsoft

@HellitonWoo The "Send Keys" Action sends keystrokes to the application that is currently active. It can either be sent in the background as a software input or can be mimicked like from a keyboard when sent as hardware keys. To simulate key-presses inside a Send Keys Action, use the following notation: {KeyCode}. where KeyCode is the capital form of the letter itself for letters A-Z. OemSemicolon for ';', Oemplus for '+', Oemcomma for ',', OemMinus for '-', OemPeriod for '.', OemQuestion for '?', Oemtilde for '~', OemOpenBrackets for '[', OemPipe for '|', etc. 

In your case you can use:

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Hello @FUS , please utilize Test1{RControlKey}Test2 for your case.

Thanks @adijain for the tip... but it didn't work.... {RControlKey} just getting skipped... even if I send it as "Hardware keys".

Even tried to use screenrecord to get the "{RControlKey}" so I know it's the same... but still doesn't work.

Then I tried others like {Tab}, {F11} & {Enter}... and those seem to work just as expected.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the system I'm using, but since everything else works, why would this one key not work?

@FUS I found this page, which seems explaining all the key references described by @adijain 

https://referencesource.microsoft.com/#windowsbase/Base/System/Windows/Input/Key.cs,e89a228c9dc1bd2c...

You can try these:

{RightCtrl}

Thanks for the tip @HellitonWoo.
But unfortunately didn't "{RightCtrl}" work either... it just printed it out on the screen as text. 😞

Hello @FUS  I am sorry to hear that but {RControlKey} is the correct keycode to send right control key. Could you try adding a wait time after the control key is sent? You can do that within send keys action by using this key code {Delay 1000} - this will allow you to "wait" for 1 second prior to sending the rest keystrokes that follow this modifier. I would also suggest using just the key code {ControlKey} for sending any of the control keystroke, and see if that works for your use case. 

Hi @adijain.
It didn't work, but I did try to use Crtl in word where it worked, so I tried other "specialkeys" in the application which worked.
So I decided to look deeper into the application and found out that the PC key (Right Ctrl) uses a function for "Enter" and so did (Keypad Enter).

With some experimenting I found out that {Keypad} had the desired effect... even though I'm using a laptop without a keypad.

Mravikumar4
Frequent Visitor

I also have similar issue. Can i have syntax for "CTRL+Home"?

{Control}({Home})

For special keys, parenthesis identify a hold down for whatever is inside it, so '{Control}{Home} is pressing Control, then pressing Home, but by putting Home in parenthesis after Control, it is Control + Home.

Good luck!

Mravikumar4
Frequent Visitor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. I tried with same syntax, but it's doing only home function. not functioning as CTRL+Home.

Test, selected cell L39.  By pressing Home, it goes to A39, by pressing Control + Home, it goes to A1.

Test 1, successful; it went to A39:

MichaelAnnis_0-1641311352020.png

Reset back to L39

Test 2, successful; it went to A1:

MichaelAnnis_1-1641311443219.png

Here is the inside of Send Keys:

MichaelAnnis_3-1641311479998.png

If it's not working, not sure what is going on.  Try focusing the window before you send keys.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,746)