cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonL
Power Participant
Power Participant

Welcome to the Power Automate Desktop forum board!

Welcome to Power Automate Desktop (preview), a new desktop-based robotic process automate (RPA) authoring solution that expands low-code automation capabilities for everyone in an organization.

Here are some helpful links to get you started!

The Announcement Blog post

The Power Automate RPA webpage with more information

Power Automate Desktop documentation

Getting Started Video Series

Download RPA In a day training: RPA in a day training

Please feel free to post discussion and questions relating to Power automate Desktop and its uses in this forum.

As always, reach out to  @GabrielStJohn for help or concerns with the community site!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Suhaib 

You could sign into PAD with a work or school account. Please find below all the prerequisites:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/ui-flows/setup#prerequisites

Regarding the error, could you share some more information? a screenshot of the error would also be helpful.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day.... I just want to know if POwer Automate Desktop has the capability to import task created  by Win Automation.   Rgds.

Hi @Anonymous 

This feature would be very useful indeed.

The Power Automate Desktop team is currently working on a migration tool that will help us import a WinAutomation Process into PAD. The first version is going to be available within the following months.

I hope the above helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the response.

Suhaib

Dear Mr. Admin,

Well does desktop version supports personal accounts like mine?

and please do you know why testing the "I'll perform the trigger action" keeps waiting until it give "flow run time out..."

is that related to connection speed as an example ?

thanks in advance

Hi @Suhaib 

You could sign into PAD with a work or school account. Please find below all the prerequisites:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/ui-flows/setup#prerequisites

Regarding the error, could you share some more information? a screenshot of the error would also be helpful.

Thank you!

rschneider12345
Frequent Visitor

I am having a Power Automate Desktop (Preview) launch issue.  I have updated .NET to 4.8 and reinstalled Power Automate Desktop / UiFlows several times.

UiFlow Version:

OS Version:

1803 (OS Build 17134. 1845)

.NET 4.8 version 

Event Viewer Error:

Message = Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
Error = System.Exception
Full text = System.Exception: Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
at Windows.UI.ViewManagement.UISettings.add_TextScaleFactorChanged(TypedEventHandler`2 handler)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.WindowsRuntimeMarshal.NativeOrStaticEventRegistrationImpl.AddEventHandler[T](Func`2 addMethod, Action`1 removeMethod, T handler)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.WindowsRuntimeMarshal.AddEventHandler[T](Func`2 addMethod, Action`1 removeMethod, T handler)
at WinAutomation.UI.Common.FontSizeManager.Register(ResourceDictionary dictionary) in D:\a\1\s\src\WinAutomation.Desktop\WinAutomation.UI.Common\FontSizeManager.cs:line 35
at WinAutomation.Console.Host.App.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<OnStartup>g__OnStartupInternal|0() in D:\a\1\s\src\WinAutomation.Desktop\WinAutomation.Console\WinAutomation.Console.Host\App.xaml.cs:line 94
at WinAutomation.Logging.LoggerTraceOperationExtensions.TraceOperation[T](ILogger`1 logger, String methodName, Action logEventAction, Action func, Func`1 getSuccessMessage, Func`2 getFailureMessage, LogData[] data) in D:\a\1\s\src\WinAutomation.Desktop\WinAutomation.Logging\LoggerTraceOperationExtensions.cs:line 80
at WinAutomation.Console.Host.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e) in D:\a\1\s\src\WinAutomation.Desktop\WinAutomation.Console\WinAutomation.Console.Host\App.xaml.cs:line 61
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever I run the flow which contains 'Launch Excel' action, I am getting the error saying that

'Failed to open Excel document '(Excel launching error.)'.

I updated my PAD to its latest version, still I am facing this issue.

Please suggest me a solution. Without resolving the issue, I cannot go ahead with the flow.

David_1985
Frequent Visitor

Hi Team,

I am having Power Automate installation issue. I have uninstalled .net and restarted and installed the PAD but the installation is not competed.There's a problem installing.

[39F4:39F8][2021-04-13T08:37:44]e000: Apply completion Failed.Code: 0x80070643. Status code: Unexpected. Message: Service 'UIFlowService' (UIFlowService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services..
[39F4:39F8][2021-04-13T08:37:44]i399: Apply complete, result: 0x80070643, restart: None, ba requested restart: No

Do you have admin permissions?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receiving-error-0x80070643-and-cannot-repair-n...

--
Was this helpful? Then give it a thumbs up and/or select it as the solution!
mikebutler3030

Hi, 

I'm new to Power Automate Desktop and having problems getting UI element to be recognized in a "Press button on web page" or "Click download link on web page".  I does show up in the UI element tab to the right. Any advice on getting to that next step would be appreciated. 

Mike,

Commonly, I have found that what I think should be a web element is actually a UI element, so try "Click UI element" in window if the element is not appearing under "Press button on web page".  Good luck.

----
If my post has answered your question, please thumbs up and mark this post as a solution.

I also offer paid consulting services. If you would like to discuss this option, please feel free to DM me and we can set up a time to join a Zoom call and fix any issues you are having.

Radhika,

The only open Excel failure I have had was having redundant "Attach to Excel" actions where it told me "the file did not exist" simply because it was already the front Excel file.  It doesn't sound like this is your issue. 

Was it working before, or has "Launch Excel" never worked?

If it has never worked, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling your Microsoft Office products, it is possible that you are missing a driver.  I also don't know the underlying code to "Launch Excel", but I imagine it believes your Excel.exe is located in some variant similar to this address:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE"...if Excel.exe is not located in your C:\Program Files folder, it is possible that is also causing an issue.

Best of luck.

----
If my post has answered your question, please thumbs up and mark this post as a solution.

I also offer paid consulting services. If you would like to discuss this option, please feel free to DM me and we can set up a time to join a Zoom call and fix any issues you are having.
CharlesSpencer
Regular Visitor

Okay, total newbie here.  What's the difference between Power Automate and Power Automate Desktop, if any?  I have access to one through my company Teams app, and the other appears to be a desktop application?  If there are differences, what factors determine which one I use?  And are there other flavors?

Thanks. 

Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

@CharlesSpencer 
Please refer this video, as it throws light on the difference between two flavors of Power Automate namely:
Power automate and Power Automate RPA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPXKh9g5Rf0

Also, refer this introduction video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19CAWq1tK8

It will elucidate the difference and help you make your choice of which one to use.

Should you require any more information, do let me know.

Happy to help!!

Cheers,

Ankesh

--------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks.  Both videos use terms I'm not familiar with but I'm getting some of it through context.  Unfortunately, I didn't find either as useful in helping me to choose which tool I should use for my first project.  It seems some of what I need is in one tool or the other but not both; or maybe I still don't understand.

The second video doesn't match what I see in my app; I don't have an "Internet Recorder".  This is true of many Power Automate videos I see; they show features, actions, or triggers that I can't find.  I've written Excel macros, command procedures, some rudimentary PowerShell scripts, but I can't get a grip on getting started with Automate.

Would anyone care to recommend text or manual tutorials?  I don't absorb instruction from video very well.  I have a poor ear for non-American accents, and I can't get back to earlier content without stabbing around repeatedly.

Thanks.

Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

In that case the best place to get started for you would be MICROSOFT LEARN FOR POWER AUTOMATE:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/powerplatform/power-automate

In American accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5kI7SYz4Q

Hope it helps!!

Cheers,

Ankesh

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I took a quick glance at the first link and it appears to be more helpful than videos.  I'll look in detail on Monday.   I don't know if I can sit through a 3-hour video but at least this one was recorded at a volume I can hear. 

Thanks and I hope you have a good weekend.

Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

You too!!

Hope it helps!!

Cheers,

Ankesh

mTalha_Khan
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I am facing some issue about the selection of  drop-down list it it that the dropdown value is picked it up but connote be pass. I have manually select it. 

mTalha_Khan_0-1670840271296.png

it worked but cannot pass to the application.

mTalha_Khan_1-1670840341373.png

please tell me the solution it is a dynamic field. The value in the dropdown changed on next time.

Regard,

M Talha

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank!  🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Users online (5,864)