cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpearce
Frequent Visitor

Why is Group in my Selector/Name???

Suffered from this so thought I would share. Built a fairly complex PAD flow that loads an Excel spreadsheet and does several manipulations then saves the file. Several flow step use UI automation to navigate. All goes well until one day the flow can't find the UI navigations. On inspection of the "UI elements" defined in the flow I discover the Selector for the "Window" element no longer matches the currently opened file. If I add a UI element for the currently opened file I see the Window Selector defined as:

window[Name="Weekly_Template  Group  - Excel"]

but the previously defined Window Selector was defined as:

window[Name="Weekly_Template - Excel"]

(for the record, the difference is 2 spaces, the word Group, then 2 more spaces)

Where the heck did the "  Group  " come from??? Unable to determine I modified the flow to accommodate the new Name= and it ran fine for a few days. Then it changed back to the version with "  Group  " in the name. ARG!!! Again I changed the Window Selector to the Name= with no "  Group  " and all ran well for a few days. Of course it happened again!!! and again!!!

What was going on???

I'll cut to the chase. When modifying the Excel file that was used in the flow... sometime I selected more than 1 sheet. In my case all my sheets are laid out similar, so when I change something on the first sheet I want to copy it to all sheets. In that copy process I often highlight several sheets and Paste. Innocent enough right? Well... when I saved the file with several sheets highlighted that is when "  Group  " becomes part of the window name in the flow. When I later saved the Excel file with only 1 sheet highlighted that is when "  Group  " falls out of the window name in the flow. 

So the easy fix is to ensure only 1 sheet is highlighted when a save the Excel file. Easy enough... but oh the pain endured in the learning process... hope this spares someone... 

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,167)