cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mican

Windows Credential Manager

Do we have the ability to connect to the Windows Credential Manager(storage of login and password) in power automate desktop?

8 REPLIES 8
fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Not out of the box, only with CyberArk. As an alternative, you could use PowerShell, for example: https://childebrandt42.wordpress.com/2020/07/07/using-windows-credential-manager-with-powershell/

burque505
Helper V
Helper V

@Mican, as an alternative you might have a look at this thread for using Python 3 to work with Windows Credentials. 

Mican

OK. But the credentials are logged in the cloud as plain text

fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Mican Good point! What about using a "sensitive text" input variable?

Mican

@fraenK It's supposed to be an unattended flow. If it uses the input variable "sensitive text" then it will output the following message when starting the flow. Is it possible to disable the message?

fraenK
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Which message?

@Mican, I bet this is what you're talking about. If you create a 'sensitive text' input variable from the Variables panel (as opposed to from an action, where 'sensitive text' isn't an option), e.g.

var type.png

your flow will run fine from the editor and (presumably) load the variable with whatever you set for a default value (no popup). But when you run it from the Flows panel, you get a popup.

Seems likely that creating an 'Input' variable from the Variables panel (which has no dialog options other than content, nothing other than variable name to let the user know what's desired) means that a default dialog will be created, i.e. the message, just because it's an 'input' variable.

The types we can create from the Variables panel are limited to 'input' and 'output', so we're stuck, I guess.

But there ought to be a way to create a Flow variable as 'sensitive text' (ergo with no offending popup).

bogus message.png

It's either a bug or a "feature."

I think creation of an input variable should get some added attributes/parameters (like those of the Flow action for input dialogs). Plus we should have the ability to create a 'sensitive text' variable from the Actions that won't pop up a dialog at all, regardless of how the flow is run.

charles_ross_oh
Advocate I
Advocate I

You can use Powershell (usually built in on Windows, unlike Python) to get credentials. The "Target" parm is the name of your credential as listed in Win Cred Mgr.  A powershell variable can be read into a PAD variable. Example where I get a password in a flow:

charles_ross_oh_0-1638891372698.png

You will have to load the CredentialManager module for Powershell:

Install-Module -Name CredentialManager -Scope CurrentUser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,755)