cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveKriewall

"Select menu option in window" works intermittently

My flow terminates a process (by name), starts a fresh copy of that process, clicks on the UI element associated with that process's window, and then tries to select a menu option in window ("MenuItem: File -> Open...Ctrl+O").

Until yesterday (June 19, 2022), this has been working reliably.   I could run the flow as many times as I wanted. But beginning today, I can only run the flow once successfully; after that, the attempt to select the Open option fails with error, "Failed to select option (option wasn't found)".  I have tried closing the process and rerunning the flow; closing Power Automate, reopening and rerunning the flow; and a combination of both.  It continues to fail.  The only remedy I have found is a total reboot of the machine.  After this, it will work one more time, then continue failing.

I have not upgraded the process that PA is trying to manipulate.  So I don't think this is due to the menu item of the process.

Can you suggest troubleshooting steps, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

@DaveKriewall 

1. Could you please try using delay action and check if it solves your purpose. 
2. Also, try using send keys if UI element object identification is not working. 

Thanks

Ankesh

If it helps, please mark it as solution so that others can find it quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

@DaveKriewall 

1. Could you please try using delay action and check if it solves your purpose. 
2. Also, try using send keys if UI element object identification is not working. 

Thanks

Ankesh

If it helps, please mark it as solution so that others can find it quickly. 

Thanks; adding a 1 second delay between selecting the window and selecting the menu option seems to have solved it.  I also tried adding a retry on error with a small delay; this too works. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,351)